Deer decoy safety?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Area I hunt is well beyond foot traffic in the Black Hills of SD. Never seen a hunter while in any of my trees. However, I hunt opening that have a decent line of sight from other directions so the possibility of someone coming by out of my eyesight is possible. I'd really love to use a deer decoy but am hesitant given the fact that rifle season runs concurrently. I've read before where some guys have had no issue with an antelope decoy with an orange spot painted on it. I've thought about doing the same with the deer decoy if I was going to use it. Scent aside, do you think there is a reasonable way to put orange on a decoy and not have the deer notice it? The color itself doesn't worry me based on the research I've seen, maybe an orange stripe rather than a dot would make it blend better. Or, some sort fabric, etc. I'm more worried about texture depending on method used.

Probably a stupid idea as I will always question if it is affecting things. But I would like to give it a try, not worth getting shot over. Thoughts?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put a piece of orange fabric in place of the tail. It will give the decoy a little motion in the wind also.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would just put an orange sweat shirt or some piece of red or orange fabric around it. The deer won't notice it and if they do they will already be in range anyway.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 57
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19