Deer that are hit and dont know it.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone shot a deer with a bow or gun and the deer acts like nothing happen.

I was in a stand bow hunting when a small 4x4 comes along broadside feeding, at first I was going to let him go but the thought of fresh steaks made me change my mind. It was a 20 yard shot and the deer was just feeding away so I took the shot looked like double lung but the deer just kept on feeding like nothing happen. I watched the deer slowly feed and walk down this embankment about 50 yards all the time thinking did I miss or what? Until he leaned up against a tree, slid down rolled over on his side and didn't move. I did double lung him but I missed bones when the arrow went though. Only seen that once. I'm sure someone else has seen this lets hear the story.

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had that happen with a doe I shot probably 8 or 9 years ago with a rifle. I know I hit her well behind the shoulder because my dad was looking through the binoculars (we later found the bullet wound and he was right). Waited about 30 seconds or so I suppose after and she just stood there. Felt like a lot longer. Then held one on her neck and dropped her to be safe. We enjoy eating deer.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep!! Quite a few times I've had that happen. Unfortunately, quite a few more times I've had to check or MADE THE OTHER GUYS CHECK their shots as they were to LAZY or going to be to LAZY to check it themselves. They all say the same thing. "I must have missed. The deer didn't react to the shot". Upon checking the trail, more often than not, lo and behold, there lays a deer. DUH!! ALWAYS FOLLOW UP YOUR SHOTS!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't hunt with them boys anymore for obvious reasons.

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
hit a doe several years back she took a small jump looked around twitched her tail took a bite of grass started chewing then tipped over , arrow went through both lungs just went between the ribs

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did that also shot the deer at 25 feet it continued to eat then started sniffing the air then just fell over. Kept thinking I missed. Think it happens a lot.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Happened to me with my bow buck this past season shot (25 yards) looked up at me and trotted away about 25 yards stopped looked back at me again went about 40 more yards and bedded down. That's all the further he wentThumbs Up. At first i was thinking no way in heck I missed him that close but when he stopped the first time I could see his side was all full of blood.

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
1127101007b-1.jpgIn 2010 I shot a buck with my muzzle loader at 12 yards and he just calmly walked off, I reloaded and he was at 80 yards I fired again heard the thwack, and again he calmly walked off, now I'm outta ammo cause I shot a yote earlier in the evening with my 3rd round. Now nearly dark as he walked off in the direction of where I parked I made a huge loop back to the truck to come back in the morning and figure out what the hell just happened!
In the morning we found him only about 80 yards from where I last seen him, 1st shot was a low dbl lung and the 2nd was a quartering away that traveled almost the full length of his sternum barely even needed my sagen saw

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75