Tag Soup poll

Why your deer tag went to tag soup????

• See what deer? Think I'm done hunting deer

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • My shooting needs work, not worth a damn!!!

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Private land locked up like fort knox and no access

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Not in the right place at the right time

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I'm a horn hunter not a meat lover

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lets see what everyone got say about this years hunt

My story goes...hunting alone cruising around looking for deer around plots one morning. I spot a buck (not big but shootable 4 pt) heading into plots, that about 1/4 wide 3/4 mile long crp between knee and waist high. I get to a spot out of his view get out of the truck as fast as I can and start walking in his general direction out of sight of course, not seeing him I crotch down for a few minutes, I slowly stand up he is broad side about 100 yds but the damn crp is covering bottom half of him so i crotch back down wait again, stand up, he's no where in sight, then all of sudden his head pops up all I can see is the head and antlers looking right at me, he bolts, slung gun my shoulder and let 3 rounds running shot 150 yds...and you guess it....missed, with shots echoing in the air the third shot sounded like i hit, thought about it, then decided to walk the area about where I thought he was last when the last shot was taken...found nothing....
Second opportunity, never got a shot off pissing around to make sure land not posted.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
my choice isn't on there. hunted/sat, about 12-13 evenings of the 17 available evenings i believe. never really had a shooter cross my path. depending on where i sat, i saw the same 5-14 does/fawns/spikes pretty much every night. 1 shooter that disappeared pretty quick at just out of my comfort range and a handful that will grow up nicely the next couple of years. can't say it was an access issue, can't say i am done hunting and certainly can't say my shooting needs work cause i never fired by gun. tis what tit tis i guess.

thanks mort! you didn't have to change your poll!

Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't see anything I wanted to shoot got 3 genetic misfit bucks I'm targeting, letting other bucks grow but still haven't seen anything I consider mature then again I didn't even see a spike on the hoof I don't think as for does I'm holding out again for the old grey doe. Gratis tag plus still have a bow tag so still deciding if I will borrow a buddy's muzzleloader or go bow here on out. With the low numbers I'm trying to minimize my part in hopes for a solid rebound over the next couple years.
Here's to hoping for the good weather to continue! Good luck to those still on the hunt.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
hunted every day of the season sun up to sun down except for 1 day and the last sunday. Wife and i both had buck tags and were horn hunting being as we've had two tags in the last 5 years between the two of us.
We shot the two biggest ones we saw but we were looking for bigger. With how much land we've lost to hunt due to e-posting/leasing etc over the past few years I will no longer accept "tag soup" as an option. I'll horn hunt for the first half of the season and dump whatever we can find after to fill the freezer. No more "managing" deer or not shooting "young" deer so they will grow bigger yada yada. I told her within 2-3 years we will most likely be done rifle hunting for deer in this state (for bucks anyway). Gettin stupid out there...

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn’t have a rifle tag this year . The wife did fill hers but the amount of deer was disappointing and the quality was dog shit. I think the winter killed what EHD didn’t we were east river and 95% of the deer we saw were Muley

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
dam CWD is the killer though …..

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plenty of deer in my area, though haven't found a big enough buck yet. Didn't get/take time to rifle hunt till the last weekend. Saw plenty of bucks chasing does but nothing big enough. Have a gratis tag so will either muzzy hunt of fill with bow. probably end up shooting a doe or a little 4 point as a management buck.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The weather was too nice. My middle son, who hasn't hunted in thirty some years, drew an any buck tag on his first try. Got my heart pumping for deer season. He shot his first deer years ago with my dads 1917 enfield . He used the same rifle to collect a decent 3x4 muley. Sent the rifle home with him. I had a very nice whitetail in my scope at 80 yards and did not pull the trigger. Getting old and have lost my desire to kill anything. I guess I'm done.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
NDbowman:

Help me with the statement have a gratis tag so i will either muzzy or bow hunt.
Not sure how that works for you.

I guess what i am wondering does my gratis rifle license allow me to hunt with a muzzle loader after the rifle season or do you have those licenses? db

Last edited:

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDbowman:

Help me with the statement have a gratis tag so i will either muzzy or bow hunt.
Not sure how that works for you.

I guess what i am wondering does my gratis rifle license allow me to hunt with a muzzle loader after the rifle season or do you have those licenses? db
gratis tag is good for any of the three seasons till its filled.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lets see what everyone got say about this years hunt

My story goes...hunting alone cruising around looking for deer around plots one morning. I spot a buck (not big but shootable 4 pt) heading into plots, that about 1/4 wide 3/4 mile long crp between knee and waist high. I get to a spot out of his view get out of the truck as fast as I can and start walking in his general direction out of sight of course, not seeing him I crotch down for a few minutes, I slowly stand up he is broad side about 100 yds but the damn crp is covering bottom half of him so i crotch back down wait again, stand up, he's no where in sight, then all of sudden his head pops up all I can see is the head and antlers looking right at me, he bolts, slung gun my shoulder and let 3 rounds running shot 150 yds...and you guess it....missed, with shots echoing in the air the third shot sounded like i hit, thought about it, then decided to walk the area about where I thought he was last when the last shot was taken...found nothing....
Second opportunity, never got a shot off pissing around to make sure land not posted.
What about the guys that didn’t get a chance to get out there with life and kid’s activities taking priority?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
gratis tag is good for any of the three seasons till its filled.
You have both the bow and muzzle loader tag, right and i only have the bow tag.
i do not have a right to use a muzzle loader then. db

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have both the bow and muzzle loader tag, right and i only have the bow tag.
i do not have a right to use a muzzle loader then. db
no I have a gratis tag and a bow tag. The bow tag has to filled with a bow during bow season. The gratis tag is good for bow, rifle, or muzzleloader season. You can fill your gratis tag during any of the three seasons. I don't even apply for muzzleloader anymore, I just use my gratis tag if I don't fill it during rifle season.

from the game and fish proclamation

Resident Gratis and Nonresident Landowner - Licenses are available to residents and nonresidents who own, or residents who lease for agricultural purposes and actively farm or ranch, at least 150 acres of land located in an open hunting area. These licenses are valid only upon land described on the license. The license consists of the tag and the copy of the application returned to the landowner/lessee (both need to be in possession while hunting). The resident gratis or nonresident landowner license may be used during the deer bow, deer gun or muzzleloader seasons until the license is filled. Resident gratis and nonresident landowner licenses are issued only through the Department’s Bismarck office and are subtracted from the maximum number of deer gun licenses available (nonresident landowner from the 1 percent allocation), for each unit. A resident who holds a valid lottery license to hunt deer may hunt the same species and sex of deer, for which that person’s license is valid, on land in an adjoining unit for which that person would be eligible for a resident gratis deer license. A person, that person’s spouse, and their children who have a gratis deer license may hunt together on any qualifying land described on any of their licenses provided they hunt within the same unit in which their described land is located. No other licenses are required for resident gratis licensees. Applications received by the application deadline were issued an any-legal-deer license. Applications received after the deadline will be issued licenses based on availability after the initial lottery.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What tag do you use now if you shoot a deer with your muzzle loader after the rifle season with your gratis permit? I guess i am still loss as to how this works.

If i have a gratis tag, rifle season is over, i have a bow license that i can only use if i shoot a deer with my bow. I have no muzzle loader tag. Now my gratis tag is a separate tag that i can use any weapon including a muzzle loader to kill another deer during any of the season including the rifle season, bow season and muzzle loader season. Is that a separate tag good from September to January then?
Excuse me for the question but this is different than told me.

The first time i had a muzzle loader tag i had no muzzle loader and was going to use my bow. Wrong as i found out so glad i did not shoot one with the bow and put my muzzle loader tag on. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84