Antlerless elk tag-E2

oldgold

Drew an antlerless elk tag for E2. However, since applying have had back and heart issues that limit how far I can walk. A friend is letting me use his blind for deer this year instead of walking the coulees. When I mentioned to other friends that I was going to have to give up on elk, one of them told me about this forum. He convinced me that it wouldn't hurt to ask if there's someone out there who would like less cow elk on their land and and be willing to accomadate an older disabled vet.

oldgold

Thanks for the suggesion.
Grew up near Dayton OH, married a Baudette MN girl in '69 at my first duty station. I've lived on a 10 acre place near Burlington ND since '85. Air Force brought me here-I liked it so stayed. Retired from USAF in 95, finished a degree at Minot State in 98, went to work for AF Civil service in '99 and retired from that in 2014. Former Burlington volunteer FF and on the fire board for the last 34 years.
Took up deer hunting in '66 at Baudette MN and have done that nearly every year since except when overseas. Had one opportunity to hunt elk in MT--no elk but a nice muley buck. Hunted ruffed grouse and waterfowl in MN, pheasant and sharp tails my first few years in ND. Started fishing around 2002, got a boat in '05, but only get out 3 or 4 times a year now.
Do a lot of travelling, frequently in our 5th wheeler. Have been in every state and had the camper in about 30, including Alaska. Three kids, 2 in Rochester MN and 1 in Aiken SC.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sent you a message.
I wonder if he can message you back? Unless V changed it, at one time you had to have 5 or more posts to message someone?? Hope you can get connected and thanks for giving him a hand.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Were you successful? What help did you receive?
At that time, in that unit, they sent a list of landowners to contact. I was fortunate enough to have family and friend connections as well. I scouted preseason, and talked to the locals as much as I could. Having friends and family was where it counted though. I had several offers to hunt other landowners’ land, but several of them had tags themselves and said they would call once they tagged which I completely respected and understood at the time. I would have been the same way If I was in their shoes. In the end, I tagged out on a great bull. Those same individuals made their living and moved out of oil country for their retirement, and no longer live in the area.

I had a bull tag, not a cow tag. I would think landowners would be inviting to fill a cow tag. My advice to the OP would be to do some homework: scout, talk to the game and fish, converse and be friendly to the locals around towns in the unit.

Unless statistics have changed, the ND Elk tag is statistically the toughest tag to fill out of the big 3. It’s not an easy hunt. Like everything else: the more time you put into it, the greater the odds.

oldgold

I sent you a message.
Sorry Big J, didn't get your message. Might be that Risingsun is right about number of posts. This is only my 3rd. Only found out about this forum 3 days ago.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry Big J, didn't get your message. Might be that Risingsun is right about number of posts. This is only my 3rd. Only found out about this forum 3 days ago.
@Vollmer may be able to help. Can you send him a PM with some contact info? If not, just find some threads and post some meaningful content in other threads to become an established member. Lastly, thank you for your service and good luck on your hunt. My final advice to you is not to wait until it’s too late. Hunt hard at the beginning and don’t lay off the gas. It’s a relatively long season, but don’t be fooled. The weather only becomes more and more unpredictable as the season progresses.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84