Drift bag that isn't garbage?

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just went through my second Lindy wave tamer. This was a replacement from the first one that the seams blew out on. Used this one twice and I may as well use it as a sail since it blew open as well. Talk about garbage...and I paid well over $100 for this piece of sh....

My partners also shredded and he bought an original lindy drift sock. This material seems to hold up but good luck getting the bag to open 9 out of 10 times putting it in.

I miss JNB. They never should have sold out the wave tamer to Lindy. Now the bag is made somewhere like china and is pure junk. You might as well burn a $100 bill. This is what the world has come to now. Cheap crap that isn't worth a fraction of the cost to purchase. Now we spend countless hours on the phone trying to get this garbage replaced instead of working or fishing. (Can you tell I'm irritated?)

Anybody have good experiences with a reliable drift bag that opens easy and doesn't tear itself open? I'm looking for a large diameter, like 60"-72" size.

3tt3v

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also have a cabelas bag and am very happy with it. Opens every time I throw it in and is very heavy duty. This is my 6th year with it and it still looks new. 60 inch model and slows down a 19 foot fiberglass very well. I just make sure it is layed out to dry after using it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
sounds like the thread/stitching is the issue. Just after purchase I'd wet every last seam down with a flexible adhesive such as...
36f9f6d7-8795-488b-98f1-2024988a32ba_400.jpg

I bet that puts an end to the crappy seams.

- - - Updated - - -

My name is not Heloise, but I play her on NDA sometimes.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
sounds like the thread/stitching is the issue. Just after purchase I'd wet every last seam down with a flexible adhesive such as...
36f9f6d7-8795-488b-98f1-2024988a32ba_400.jpg

I bet that puts an end to the crappy seams.

- - - Updated - - -

My name is not Heloise, but I play her on NDA sometimes.

Wow ... this sounds uber complicated, I would just get some power pro 20-30 lbs test line and restitch the outside of the bag...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow ... this sounds uber complicated

yes - takes years of specialized training - or, if you ever built a model car you might have the skills

tarp companies do it too - but then again they are trained professionals who know how to properly handle a tube of cement

it's a tried and true cure for me - I use it a lot on things like expensive winter gloves, dog vests, equipment pouches, etc. where it's always the dang seams that give out first

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like when I was in the Corps and everyone bought new suits on trips to S. Korea. You'd swear they used water soluble thread with the way things fell apart after one or two cleanings. Granted, you looked damn sharp until then.

As far as drift socks, I don't even remember the name of the one I carry in my boat. But I've had it for 10 years and it's never been a problem even though I don't use it that often. Guess I should take care of it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
OP - are you drying them out good after use? Maybe the threads are decomposing - dry rot issue?

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't remember for sure, but I thought there was someone local that made them for Dakota Tackle? I know he sells some other brands besides the lindy bags as well, but not 100% sure.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have two Cabelas and my dad has ones they have been great and have held up really well

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope not a dry rot issue guy. I dry them out after using. And it was only the second use on this new one. I think I'll check Dakota tackle tomorrow, if not then I'll order the cabelas one. Thanks for the tips guys!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the cabelas and all i do is back troll with the toon and going on 5 years with lots and lots of use and no problems

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ditto the Amish Outfitters... very durable and well made. They are designed as trolling bags to slow down while trolling but a large 36 to 48" bag would work as a drift control if that is what you need. Good customer service too

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46