Drywall Finishing

andyb15

Established Member
I have two bedrooms and closets in my basement that I just hung drywall in. I'm planning on doing the finish work myself, but dreading it.....anyone have an idea of what a company might charge to tape and texture it? two 11x11 bedrooms with 3x7 closets.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Personally, I thought finishing the drywall in an area like a bedroom is fairly easy. Buy premixed mud and a couple good trowels and have at it. Make sure that at least the last coat is lightweight, sands easier. Take your time and realize that a seam with too much mud is better than not enough. Bumps don't show shadows as easily as dips. For a seam the final width should be about 2-3', corners 15-18" for each corner, not total. Finally, ridges sand out easily, gouges or scratches not so easily.

If you have access to an air compressor I would guess you could rent a texturizing machine. They're nothing more than a bucket with a nozzle. The air pressure forces the mixture and you spray it on the wall. Can't imagine that there isn't a youtube to show this. To start spray some on a scrap piece of drywall. Doesn't take much practice to become proficient. This mud mixture needs to be watered down some so it will flow out of the bucket.

Then again, if your wife has a tendency to not trust your work like mine, then it might be easier and less of a headache to just hire it done. Don't think the cost would be much as the heavy work is already done. For a professional, rooms that size wouldn't take them a full day/coat.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in the same boat as you and did it myself and happy i did... as far as texturing goes, buy yourself a texture gun from harbor freight, its like 30$ but actually does a damn good job, use the middle insert tip for orange peel texture, and like above post says practice on some carboard or scrap plywood... and when mudding i took the seams out at least 8 inches on both sides, proble overkill but made it look not noticeable. Iam by no means a expert and really have only done work on my house but shoot me a PM if you have any question..

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on what the corners are (square)? Texture (orange peel or knockdown)? Windows returned with sheetrock or ledges? You should be around .50sqft so a good starting number should be around $600. Where are you located?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just finished (painted this past Saturday) two rooms in my basement. Each is about 12' x 22', and a stairwell. I hired a guy to help, and I wouldn't have done it by myself. When I see how someone who knows what they're doing, does it... well, I would have gotten the job done, but it wouldn't have been as nice.

Anyhow, there is a bit more to it, or rather to doing it right, than what's said above. The lightweight mud is great, but it needs to be thinned a bit to work well, and we used mud again, for the texturing, but that needs to be thinned too. And while mixing mud isn't rocket science, if it's mixed wrong, it's problematic.

Fresh from having just done this, in two fair sized rooms, I have to say that the hanging of it, is the lesser work. I enjoyed putting the drywall on, and taping it is no big deal. But the guys who mud and sand and texture for a living - they earn their money.

Quick tip. If you have a screw that's not quite seated, or any other bump, just smack it with a hammer. Much easier to fill a low spot with mud, than to sand off something that protrudes.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my experience in taping and texturing,is it looks good until you paint it. The paint brings out any imperfections in your mud job.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was going to rent a texture machine until I found I could buy a cheap one for less money. About eight years ago I paid $50 for a texture machine. I did two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a washroom in one afternoon. Buy at least an eight inch knife if your going to do knock down. I only have one goof in the bathroom when I put a little to much pressure in one spot with the knockdown knife. It's to easy not to do it yourself.

A wide sanding block will solve your worries about the seams too.

andyb15

Established Member
I did do my last basement and the worst part was the ceiling and the butt joints....in these two rooms i only ended up with on butt joint on a wall and then a few on the ceilings. i'm guessing the cost to have it done is going to be more than what i want to pay....so i should probably just suck it up and get it done. has anyone ever used this stuff for inside corners: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Strait-F...-Inside-corners-P-90-100-Perfect-90/202579261

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes - I think it works great

I also bought a corner spatula thingy because I mud once every 5 years and don’t get any skills back until the last joint on the last pass on the project

grrrr

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, and use this tool. I prefer the plastic to the metal. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wal-Board-Tools-Plastic-Corner-Tool-88-027/100272393

Knockdown with these. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wal-Board-Tools-2-in-4-in-and-6-in-Tape-Knife-Set-88-063/202050855 I like an eight inch wide for knockdown if you can find it.

Edit: I think I used this metal one last time, but I had to round the corners with a file so it didn't leave a ridge if I didn't hold it perfect. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wal-Board-Tools-8-in-Taping-Knife-19-038/100660216

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a texture machine. I'm in Williston so if you wish to borrow it let me know

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my experience in taping and texturing,is it looks good until you paint it. The paint brings out any imperfections in your mud job.

The guy helping me said (and I agree), "Paint is just like religion - it brings out all the imperfections". And by religion, he meant the negative aspect that many associate with faith.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Work a little overtime at what your good at and hire it done by someone who does it for a living. You will come out ahead.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two bedrooms and closets in my basement that I just hung drywall in. I'm planning on doing the finish work myself, but dreading it.....anyone have an idea of what a company might charge to tape and texture it? two 11x11 bedrooms with 3x7 closets.

Where are you located?
Sometimes people do things they shouldn't have attempted. I used to try to do most things myself when i was younger and had a good body. This is one of those times when one has to think really can i do this and do it well? One has to remember resale when you go to sell your house and the mudding job you did sticks out like a sore thumb. As Dirty Harry said "a man has to know his limitations" !

andyb15

Established Member
Where are you located?
Sometimes people do things they shouldn't have attempted. I used to try to do most things myself when i was younger and had a good body. This is one of those times when one has to think really can i do this and do it well? One has to remember resale when you go to sell your house and the mudding job you did sticks out like a sore thumb. As Dirty Harry said "a man has to know his limitations" !

Located in Fargo.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I won't argue that professionals might be a better option. However, its not that hard if you take your time and patience. I do prefer a 12" trowel for at least the last coat As stated earlier, wider is better. Corner trowels do work but they're not wide enough for the final application for me. For corners it's difficult to do one side without leaving a streak or scratch on the other. Simple fix, one side per application and after drying for a day, do the other.

If money is an issue, do it yourself and take your time to do it right. If you want it done quicker without the hassle of doing it yourself, hire it done by a professional. It will cost a little more but for a simple room like a bedroom it shouldn't break the bank.

andyb15

Established Member
Starting in a few weeks i'm going to get to finishing the rest of my basement off. Anyone have suggestions for drywall finisher, plumber and hvac person in Fargo?

Plumber is just to install a tub with associated drain, waterlines etc. The sink and toilet are already in.

Hvac is to run any new duct lines and return lines I need. I'm wanting to hire someone to make sure I don't screw anything up with the rest of the house.

Drywall - I plan to hang all the drywall, but want someone to tape, mud, texture and paint.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 32
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12