East End Sakakawea

Riverfisherman77

Any help with fishing on the east end would be very appreciated. I've been out probably 10 times this year and haven't been able to get into more than a few fish a day. I've talked to people catching fish in the 15-20 ft range. When I try I can't stay out of the weeds or the timber. I've pulled spinners on bottom bouncers and cranks. I haven't seen many people jigging but I've tried jigging and using the jigging raps. I'm not even graphing a lot of fish. I generally have fished east of ft Stevenson north and south shore lines and islands. Anywhere I can find sunken islands I'm willing to try. I'm not looking for spots just general ideas of what to do. I'm not fishing any of the tournaments just looking for a few eyes and fewer bass.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to stay out of the weeds and timber, fish 18' and deeper right now on the main lake. As far as pulling cranks goes, try to find a long stretch of consistent depth, also deeper than 18' to stay away from the snags. If you aren't graphing fish then don't waste your time and move. Keep moving until you start graphing fish or baitfish. I would start fishing wind blown points and just point hop until you start graphing fish and fish the inside and outside turns of the points and also try just fishing straight over the points themselves.They are scattered right now, at least that's been my experience this year. The east end of sakakawea can and will humble even the best fisherman. I've fished the east end for over 20 years and as soon as I think I have it figured out, it reminds me that I don't. Good luck.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
I'm in the same boat as you Riverfishermann77. East end Sak has always been a fickle one in my opinion. If you can find them shallow, they bite just like DL walleyes. Otherwise, its been a challenge.

We actually found a consistent bite, non-casting bit, yesterday afternoon for the first time in a couple years on the east end. Fish were shallow -- 8'-12'. Slow death or Lindy rig was the only way to get them to bite. They bit like perch with multiple repeated taps. Missed 5 fish to every 1 caught.

A tiller tournament boat was putting on a clinic of 17"-19" eyes.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
Use and trust your electronics. There are some mornings I will check out spots up to two hours before I put a line in. No fish on screen = no fish. Move on. Learn to read the difference between bass and walleye. The bass will waste a lot of time.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Use and trust your electronics. There are some mornings I will check out spots up to two hours before I put a line in. No fish on screen = no fish. Move on. Learn to read the difference between bass and walleye. The bass will waste a lot of time.

I completely agree with this. The east end is not like the west end. You may need to check multiple spots before you start marking some 'eyes. Trust those electronics. They can be caught in 3 fow all the way past 35 fow right now. Don't get stuck in the mentality that they are in a set depth.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I completely agree with this. The east end is not like the west end. You may need to check multiple spots before you start marking some 'eyes. Trust those electronics. They can be caught in 3 fow all the way past 35 fow right now. Don't get stuck in the mentality that they are in a set depth.

Today was an OK day. We put in and went west of LSSP. Found water a bit dirty from the wind yesterday, picked up some nice eyes at 10 to 12 fow with bb and plain red hooks and slow presentation. Marked lots of bait fish. Then by 10:00 we started marking and catching them in 18 to 20 fow. Bites were fairly aggressive. Released a couple14-15", but a fun day.

The bad thing today was that we had 4 of us fishing so we did not get our limit and that we had to get off the lake to pack up the camp and head home early. But we got half the limit of some damn healthy fish.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me it's not about a limit, its about getting out in the great outdoors of North Dakota!:;:rockitThe fish are a bonus. :raisin:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Spot on V...last weekend in Douglas Bay caught multiple walleye in 12-16 fow pulling spinners with leeches/crawlers. Yesterday worked 8-26 fow spinners/leeches/crawlers/multiple colored cranks...north/south/east shores...did not catch a single walleye! Looking at some of the weight totals for the GC should tell you all you need to know...the East end can be tough to get on and stay on fish...especially this time of year!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was going to hit the east side on Sunday, but then remembered the Gov Cup was this weekend and decided I will wait for another calm day to hit the big lake. That and half my arm was still healing from some ink I had done on Thursday evening. After reading all the reports this year I really wish I lived closer to the west side. I've never been on walleye fishing like that and I really wish I could find the time to get over there and hammer 'em.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
I was going to hit the east side on Sunday, but then remembered the Gov Cup was this weekend and decided I will wait for another calm day to hit the big lake. That and half my arm was still healing from some ink I had done on Thursday evening. After reading all the reports this year I really wish I lived closer to the west side. I've never been on walleye fishing like that and I really wish I could find the time to get over there and hammer 'em.

Don't wait for a calm day. Wind is your friend when it comes to the eyes!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 58
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 18