Electrc vehicles~

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
id like to test a electric vehical at below zero and see how it goes. I have a couple electric bikes and a sur ron elect pit bike. and temp affects the batterys big time.

To answer your question,friend has a chevy bolt EV for the city family grocery getter,full charge GM boasts 285 mile range,however I'm told this car loses 40% of battery life in sub temps,that = 100 miles,add the electric drain of the fan,heater....not so good,big down side we don't hear about these lithium batteries come from china,and not recycleable,then what?more environment trash.

Further the GM line of EV the powertrain comes from china,not sure about other brands...

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
the way my electric bills have gone up im thinking home solar may actually be cost effective.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
the way my electric bills have gone up im thinking home solar may actually be cost effective.
It’s getting closer price point wise to installing a fossil fuel generator. I think base models are about 30k, whereas generators maybe 10k

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone has an electric ice auger. I can still drill more holes with my gas auger especially in late ice. As far as electric cars go if you don’t like them then don’t buy one .

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if i can get my electric car tax rebate without buying an electric car, kinda like the childcare tax credit you can get without paying income tax?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
gKTvMGbc42OG.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Yes its a diamond mine regardless of the pic the information is still what's important

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Produce an AWD E-pickup w/500Mi range towing 5K# @ 75MPH in -20F ambient temp and you'll have my undivided attention.

I don't actually see an E-vehicle as any more/less dangerous in cold weather than a modern diesel. You can do everything right including running what should be the proper fuel and if the blender, bulk fuel person, or station made a mistake, you're gelled up on the shoulder sans any heat/fans/lights, etc. I've gelled once in 12yrs and over 300K Mi of diesel pickup driving, but, that's a helpless feeling @ -20F ambient and it sputters to a stop. I typically fill my vehicle before I drive to my house from any trip as Sunday eve is typically less busy at filling stations than Thursday eve or anytime on Friday. I got caught with the wrong fuel due to an unexpected cold snap and I'm much more vigilant about using the proper fuel/additives, but, you can bet that gelling when it gets to 0F and below is always in the back of my mind.

FlatTopPete

Established Member
Disclaimer: the following information I found on the internet and have not fact checked it yet but I thought I would pass along either way. Curious if this is accurate….

*The average price of an EV is $55K.
*Converting your home's electrical system to handle the extra power (300 amps total) would cost $3-5K.
*Home charging would still take 8 hours to fully charge an EV, not to mention the increase of 30-50% monthly electrical cost raises.
*Super chargers (Tesla) still take 1-2 hours to fully charge an EV (80% - 45 minutes).
*Four super chargers (Tesla) use the same power as powering 250 homes.
*It's estimated that 200 additional power plants would have to be built in order to handle the electrical load of charging EV's. Est cost - $2.3 trillion. They would have to be powered by fossil fuels, thus negating the premise of the New Green Deal.
*Present power lines cannot handle the required electricity to charge EV's, and would have to be replaced at a cost that's unimaginable.
*Current wind and solar farms could only handle 1/10,000th of the EV charge demand.

We have enough domestic oil to supply our needs for the next 300+ years. One day, in the distant future, technology MIGHT be able to sustain an EV power grid via logistical and fiscal means. Currently, hybrid vehicles seem to be a pragmatic stopgap until such technology is developed.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you don’t drive long distances and just drive around town or short trip in a warmer climate electric cars would be a good choice. For us in a northern climate with very few chargers and long trips require to get around electric vehicles are not practical. Can you imagine how much battery life will drop pulling a boat with the AC blasting? You would be lucky to get to the lake and back

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a hard time believing that someone can't come up with a on board charge that charges the battery's as there driving down the road. All gas and diesel have a alternator that charges the battery. Should be someway to capture it on the wheels as they go around. I know Tesla charges when applying the brake.

The person would be filthy rich that came up with the charging system.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
they do recharge when applying the brake and coasting. what you seem to be proposing is a perpetual motion machine. that's not physically possible. first law of thermodynamics maybe? anyway... one or many laws of physics.

had a local farmer that had good things to say about his kid's tesla last week. certainly not the end all solution at this point and her recognized it. but, he definitely thought it had its place.

my only take on a good reason to get some diversity in our energy world is to get us at least to a point where we aren't so beholden to some of the worst world leaders and huge oil companies that saw nearly 175 billion in profits last year. its hard to be the "greatest" economic engine in the world when we come to an economic grind every time there is an oil crisis.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still think a very small turbine engine powering a hybrid charging system obviously directly off the output shaft but then also capture the heat as well.

The Google-Machine says you need 4-5HP to run a 100Amp alternator. More Google-Machine magic says here’s a 50HP turbine footprint and weight spec:

The engine, which weighs only 70 lb dry, is just 21 in long by 11.5 in in diameter,

50HP would drive 500-700 Amps of charging easily. The engine listed above uses ~3Gal/hr of Jet A. That’s the equivalent of ~26-27 MPG @ 80MPH. Now, figure you don’t need the turbine-charger on anywhere close to all the time.

Someone smarter than me (not saying much) probably has a good reason why they’re not doing this already.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a hard time believing that someone can't come up with a on board charge that charges the battery's as there driving down the road. All gas and diesel have a alternator that charges the battery. Should be someway to capture it on the wheels as they go around. I know Tesla charges when applying the brake.

And you dont think the oil company's would help them hang themself. LB

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone ever solves the huge perpetual motion puzzle then they should fear for their lives. If Aliens showed up and showed us tech to end our need for oil and gas and could somehow use nuclear energy for everything. We'd have to phase it in slow or it could smash our world economy.

Will we ever get to the Star Trek next generation where we simply strive to better ourselves and basically everything is free as there is no money.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member

\

like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_nBUz-gZk

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102