electric floor heat question

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
my elect bill went through the roof a few winters ago and I noticed my elect boiler running a lot, turns out it was low on water. Wife told me when she saw me filling it her brother inlaw tried to get water out of the floor heat filling tap and it was all pink. filled it up and elect bill went down considerably.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
my elect bill went through the roof a few winters ago and I noticed my elect boiler running a lot, turns out it was low on water. Wife told me when she saw me filling it her brother inlaw tried to get water out of the floor heat filling tap and it was all pink. filled it up and elect bill went down considerably.

that "pink" water was your glycol you diluted, now it's freeze protection is worthless, may have been low but it needs to be refilled properly if you expect any freeze protection now

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
that "pink" water was your glycol you diluted, now it's freeze protection is worthless, may have been low but it needs to be refilled properly if you expect any freeze protection now

That depends on the total system volume and how much water was added, If it only took a gallon or two of water to top it off it probably isn't that big of a deal.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
AND how much volume do think most systems have in an electric boiler with a tiny expansion tank, just letting the guy know that it should be checked, if it's low enough to not operate I'd be willing to bet it's about 20 degree at best, but I didn't stay at a super 8 last night, just make a fine living dealing with the exact issues stated in the thread

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know what the pink water was as I installed the boiler. I filled it with pink water up to 7 psi if you want to know

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not trying to bust on you but a cold fill of 12 psi is idea, if you have any gurgling sound I would add a little, your relief is set to pop at 30# so you do have some room

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member

Good to know. It's become apparent to me that since I just moved into this house last December, and I have no idea when the system was last checked, that I need to call someone out to give it a good once over and ask their opinion on what I need to do to possibly make it more efficient. The obvious answer is either gas boiler or gas water heater, but hoping there may be a couple other things I can do that will help that won't cost as much.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 155
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 53