Elk & Moose lottery complete

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy...thats not right...anybody that gone over 20 yrs and hasn't gotten and Elk or Moose tag something is wrong with the system.

Probably not the system so much as there just aren't enough animals. How many people apply for elk and or moose tags every year, around 10,000-14,000?

With just a few hundred tags, the "average" person would draw one every 10,000/300, or roughly every 33 years.

Yes, I am SWAG'ing the numbers as I'm too lazy to look them up this morning, so I am just going off a rough recollection of the number of applicants and overall tags. Sheep are way worse. Average of 3-5 tags per year and I think there's around 7.000 applicants.

ND just doesn't have the big game populations of some other states.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think your applicant estimates are low. I think they are 20k people applying now.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy...thats not right...anybody that gone over 20 yrs and hasn't gotten and Elk or Moose tag something is wrong with the system.
20 yrs ha ha. I started applying around 90 and I am 0 for the big 3

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an elk tag in 2005, and now 19 years later I will be in the field looking for bullwinkle this fall.

Now that my lucky ass is out of both the moose and elk lotteries, that should help some of the rest of you in the coming years!
I doubt it. All the youth that get added each year as soon as they can start applying, plus the out of state people who move here out weighs those that get drawn and are no longer in the pool. Had a co-worker who had only live in ND for 1.5 years and got drawn for a moose tag. He was excited as could be, but those of us who have lived in ND all our lives and have never been drawn were far from enthused about the situation.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 207
  • This month: 178
  • This month: 163
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89