Elk & Moose lottery complete

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an elk tag in 2005, and now 19 years later I will be in the field looking for bullwinkle this fall.

Now that my lucky ass is out of both the moose and elk lotteries, that should help some of the rest of you in the coming years!
Haha
awesomeness, good for you, you sonsabitches.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I doubt it. All the youth that get added each year as soon as they can start applying, plus the out of state people who move here out weighs those that get drawn and are no longer in the pool. Had a co-worker who had only live in ND for 1.5 years and got drawn for a moose tag. He was excited as could be, but those of us who have lived in ND all our lives and have never been drawn were far from enthused about the situation.

Yeah, I definitely understand that frustration. I've been there myself over the years. I suppose I'm around 25 consecutive years into the moose applications, and before that I was 20 on/off years into elk applications.

I haven't yet had my kids apply for any of the big 3. I want them to really appreciate the experience once they get the tag, rather than having me guide them to the point they just need to pull the trigger. Son is off to an out of state college this fall, so hopefully he'll be back in 4 years to start applying while I am still young enough to be of help.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I will do the same. My son will be old enough to take hunters safety and start hunting next year. However, I will not put in applications for the big 3 for him. He can start putting in when he is old enough to afford it and drive himself. As for myself, I am thinking I will wait another 10 years or so and start putting in for cow tags so I can at least fill the freezer with some good meat and still be young enough to put on some miles. Good luck to you and I hope you get to pull the trigger on a nice bull.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think its smart to not apply your kids for the big three, let them do it and experience it as adults. That way they can spend as much time as they want and do it how they want. I think to many of the dads that put in are trying to live vicariously through the kids and sure its a cool experience, but that kid may very likely grow into adulthood and resent that because now they will never be able to do it on their own terms.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think its smart to not apply your kids for the big three, let them do it and experience it as adults. That way they can spend as much time as they want and do it how they want. I think to many of the dads that put in are trying to live vicariously through the kids and sure its a cool experience, but that kid may very likely grow into adulthood and resent that because now they will never be able to do it on their own terms.
Or if they draw you take them and shoot it for them, then they do the same with their kids if they ever draw. (Joking)

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing either I am bad luck since 1989 just maybe some day. Have fun those that did.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah, I definitely understand that frustration. I've been there myself over the years. I suppose I'm around 25 consecutive years into the moose applications, and before that I was 20 on/off years into elk applications.

I haven't yet had my kids apply for any of the big 3. I want them to really appreciate the experience once they get the tag, rather than having me guide them to the point they just need to pull the trigger. Son is off to an out of state college this fall, so hopefully he'll be back in 4 years to start applying while I am still young enough to be of help.
Don't you do the samething with Deer, when there 14/15 yrs old. You guide them so all they have to do is pull the trigger.

My Daughter was 17 when she drew a Elk tag in 1998. She experienced the driving out to western N.D. and talking to ranchers. And I got to experience the hunt and the shooting. One of the best memories I have of her growing up.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
cut The number of applicants in half by limiting everyone to one application for moose or elk, a person could not apply for both in the same year. Don’t know if it would help but something has to be done.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't you do the samething with Deer, when there 14/15 yrs old. You guide them so all they have to do is pull the trigger.

My Daughter was 17 when she drew a Elk tag in 1998. She experienced the driving out to western N.D. and talking to ranchers. And I got to experience the hunt and the shooting. One of the best memories I have of her growing up.

Much less so than when my kids first had a rifle tag at 11 and 12 yrs old. They each had several seasons/days in the field with me before they got their first tags. Now they are 16 and 18 and it looks like it will be a post-college effort on those tags. Those early years were some of the best seasons for me when it came to enjoyment as the kids and I focused on filling my tag(s).

Note, I ran the numbers. In unit M11, I had a 0.57% chance of drawing an any moose tag. Maybe, if we are lucky, we will get to having a moose population large enough for that to get to a 1% chance. Either way, there are going to be many people who go their entire life without a ND moose tag.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buildt a house for a guy that got all three in the first 10 years of the lottery. Lucky bastard he was. LB

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
When my daughter's are 14-15yrs old I will put them in if there are interested till they are 18 probably. Saying parents shouldn't put in for their kids to have a chance sounds more selfish because your hoping for few applications to complete with and just a reason to keep youth from getting into hunting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 208
  • This month: 181
  • This month: 164
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 90