Favorite Canadian Destinations

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Lake Winnipeg talk got me wondering about other destinations in the northern country. I have not done many trips up there, but would like to in the future years. What are some of the favorite places you have been to up there? What are some that you have on “your list”?

[ hunting/fishing ]

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Saskatchewan waterfowl hunting. Kississing Lake is also a good trip but Reed Lake in MB was a favorite for a family trip every spring for many years. If you're in northern ND there are also plenty of good walleye lakes nor far across the border.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
any good walleye lakes not gawd awful far from NE south dakota? Catch enough fish here. Just like change of scenery now and then. Have been to Lac Seul and Dogtooth. Had fun at both. Just wondering if any other recommendations. Would like to bear hunt and waterfowl hunt up there too someday. Would listen any thoughts on those as well. Thanks

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wekusko falls is a pretty neat place run by a great family, it's just outside of Snow Lake, MB. Fishing and scenery around there are top notch, world class bear hunting as well. Pretty dam long, boring drive though...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am curious if there is anyway to go to Canada, and not have to deal with any Canadians?

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dunlop's Lodge in Northern Manitoba was an excellent trip. Only lodge on the lake, lots of fish, but the fly-in on the bush plane is a little sketch. Primarily a big Pike trip but lots of 16-18" walleyes to be had up in the little pickerel river. They have floater plane trips to some outpost lakes that spark my interest. The drive to Thompson MT is 11-12ish hours and then an hour up in the plane.

Reindeer Lake, enough said. Been there once for a week chasing big pike. they also have a healthy population of lake trout and supposedly walleye but can't say I know of anyone that's fish for them up there. The shear size and remoteness of the lake is awesome. The possibilities are endless. I'd love to spend about 2 weeks up exploring that lake with my full ensemble of gear, my own boat full of electronics, (and a map chip!) but the 2 1/2 hour drive on the worst cobble road you can imagine (and that's to southend) keeps me to sticking with the typical 16 ft tin guide boat that may or may not have any electronics, lol. The boulders the size of school buses just below the water surface are also a little nerve racking. and 13-14 hour drive can be little brutal if you run it straight through with that last couple hours of cobble/gravel is pretty hard on the truck and tires. Having two spares wouldn't be a bad thing!

Tobin is worth a the trip if you haven't been there. Fall fishing the Saskatchewan River, night fishing but pretty much all cranking. I caught a couple small ones on jig raps but it wasn't super effective. Can take your own boat and all your goodies and has good paved roads and within a reasonable distance to us in nodak (7-8hours)

And last but not least is the northern portion of lake of the woods. Cann't say I'm a big fan of fishing the south end giant bath tub, but up north in the islands can offers a-lot of diversity. Easy drive for us Dakotan's, Known for the walleye, but don't overlook pike and musky fishing

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74