fillet knife

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey- the better quality high carbon s steel that stays sharp longer actually sharpens easier then the cheaper s steel

I was wondering if that wasn't the case since nobody mentioned it , I have a cheap shakespeare with a 9'' blade that is my "utility" knife for cutting anything that needs cutting. I sharpened it a couple weeks ago and it played me out twice before I was happy with it . Couldn't feel any drag at all on the steel.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have one of those Bubba Blades?

Last year I almost bought a bubba blade. Then I did some research on them. I found a ton of bad reviews on them so I held off. Biggest thing was the blades actually chipping and breaking while fillet in bigger saltwater apecies.... while I know we don't have saltwater species here, it makes me hesitant to buy one. If you buy one please post about your experience. I really like the way the handle is set up on them because I have giant hands and I think they would fit my hand better than the tiny little Rapala manual knife that I use now...

scoop

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago I got a knife from my brother who doesn't clean fish. He got it from some company he works with. It is one of the best knifes I have used. Looks just like a leech lake but wasn't. About 4 years later I was trying to think of Christmas gifts for my sons Godfather and thought I should get him this knife. Upon researching it I found it to be a 7 dollar knife on Amazon. Couldn't believe it! Picked up another one for myself and him. This was probably 3 yrs ago. Last year I received a leech as a Christmas present, and the only difference is the quality of steel. But both require frequent sharpening. I know leave the leech at home and have the knockoffs in my pickup and tackle bag. I don't prefer using one over the other and have had quite a few guys ask if my cheap one was a leech at a fish cleaning station. If u are interested in a leach, should give this one a whirl first. I will post side by side pics of them later. Hope this helped.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00099XZ68/?tag=nodakangler10-20

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a plain ole Buck fillet knife on the smaller fish and an "Old Timer" I bought at the recommendation of the owner of Wallys World of Knives in Minot. Both get a sharpening at the beginning of each butcher session and I'm happy with both. I own a few others, but these are the two that I reach for when the time comes and the rest are used mostly as drawer space fillers.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, I would like some opinions on the differences if there is any on the models 31600 and 32351. I had the 31600 for about 6 years and loved it. The knife was stolen from me and is now discontinued which is not alway better. I would like to hear from those who may have had both knives thanks for any advice
I don't want to hear about any other knives because nothing compares
22455161_american-angler---110v-electric-fillet-knife-huge-.jpg
s-l225.jpg

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a leach and a bubba both very nice knives my fav is a cutco I got at the Minot boatshow same price as others but way sharper and has stayed sharp longer first walleye I fillet with it I cut the head strait off my buddy says it's to sharp but once you get used to it it's awesome

- - - Updated - - -

I also bought the cutco buck knife gutted and skinned 3 dear this past weekend never touched the steel I love it

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago while on a fishing trip down south I was introduced to Dexter knives. I ordered one for cutting bait the day I got home from that trip. Now I think I have seven or eight of their knives for various things. Most knives are $20-$30 and hold an edge very well. Apparently they are the preferred knife of guides in Alaska or so I have heard. I also like the made in USA stamp on them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31