Flasher vs LCD Fish Finder

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was thinking about getting one of those Vexilar FL-8 flashers. I have a Humminbird Wide One hundred portable fish finder, but I saw that with a flasher you can actually see when a fish is taking your bait. The fish finder only shows dots on a screen.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have read countless threads on this discussion. Most of the debates are comparing a Vex FL28 to a Helix 7. The fishing community seems to be pretty well split down the middle. From a fish marking standpoint it would seem the Vex has the edge. The Helix comes with a GPS though which many people like. The Vex battery is much better than the Helix but apparently you can replace it with a better battery. FYI, I have had Vex for many years, have a 28 now. 10 years ago there wasn't a debate as the Vex was hands down the best but I think the graph world is catching up.

Brasmunky

Established Member
I bought a Garmin and benched my Vexilar. No regrets and no comparison. Vexilar is like the Harley Davidson of the fishing world....just keep pushing ancient technology because the fan boys eat it up.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Like my real time Vexilar flx 28 takes time to really understand all the capacity it has like having a true reading in a weed bed soft to hard bottom transition. Yes my son has one of those garmins panoptix guess he likes it little pricey though, last time we fished DL he still used his hummingbird helix 7 more than his garmin, i will still catch more fish with my vexilar FLX-28.You still have to make the fish bite no matter how much you spend on electronics.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have ran FL-8 for years. I'd upgrade but no reason to for how often i get out fishing. And no complaints with it.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Endless debate. I gave my fl8 to my daughter and got the 28 a few trays ago. Both good units. Go fishing with people that have each and get what you like.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33