Flex seal for aluminum boat

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an older aluminum boat that has multiple leaks. Has anyone tried coating the entire floor with Flex seal liquid rather than trying to address each individual leak? It has a floor in it so wouldn't be subject to wear. Not expecting perfection, just hoping to slow the seaping.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leaking rivets in the hull under the floor?

Just me, but, if not just re-riveting, I'd be more likely to try Devcon Underwater repair putty, Devcon Aluminum Putty, JB Weld original, JB Marine Weld, or JB Water Weld probably about in that order.

Last edited:

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an older aluminum boat that has multiple leaks. Has anyone tried coating the entire floor with Flex seal liquid rather than trying to address each individual leak? It has a floor in it so wouldn't be subject to wear. Not expecting perfection, just hoping to slow the seaping.

I used something called Gluvit and it worked well.

If the leaks are bigger I would seal them with plumbers putty before coating.

MULEDEER

Established Member
I did this. While I did the outside bottom rather than the inside. Overall not bad but be sure to prep very well the seal has a tendency to peel a little more than I thought it would. Granted in your situation I think it would work well

- - - Updated - - -

Pm me i have a gallon and 1/2 I would give to you

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
First thing to try is to just rebuck the rivets. if that doesnt work replace them or use the Gluvit that was recommended In most cases that I have been around just tightening them back up works.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gluvit is the answer, along with tightening rivets. No matter what you do, it's gotta be prepped incredibly well.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Where you guys been. Chicken wire is the new boat craze. Must not be watching late night informational.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you tell where the leaks are ? I've put a little water on the inside and watched the outside for leaks , screwed my jack way down and checked the front first then cranked up and checked the back. I thought she was leaking like a gunnysack but turned out to be my feed hose for the livewell and the transducer mount.

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you tell where the leaks are ? I've put a little water on the inside and watched the outside for leaks , screwed my jack way down and checked the front first then cranked up and checked the back. I thought she was leaking like a gunnysack but turned out to be my feed hose for the livewell and the transducer mount.
That may be part of the problem as well, will check it out, thanks

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couldn't even get my gutters to seal with that stuff.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't forget about "ookempucky";)
Leaking rivets in the hull under the floor?

Just me, but, if not just re-riveting, I'd be more likely to try Devcon Underwater repair putty, Devcon Aluminum Putty, JB Weld original, JB Marine Weld, or JB Water Weld probably about in that order.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will move heaven and earth to keep water from freezing in the hull of any boat. That freeze/thaw cycle is what effs up rivets/seams.

I have a late 70s Montgomery Ward aluminum I bought in college that is still water tight because it was always stored upside down.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
my older starcraft leaked around some loose rivets on the bottom in the back where I am unable to get to them from the inside.

I bought some of the Mac's tools generic flex seal spray cans on sale for a couple of bucks and used them. It had blue silicon sealant on it from a prior owner so I peeled that all off and used a wire brush on a drill to clean/rough up the outside and sprayed several coats on it.

I was worried my bilge pump had gone out last year when I turned it on and no water pumped out. It was dry and luckily I did not burn up my pump as I forgot to turn it off.

Even if I had to redo it every year or two its pretty easy to wire brush and spray compared to tearing the boat apart for a few loose rivets.

Also I had a pair of waders leaking in the crotch area and the seam sealer stuff didn't work so what the heck I sprayed them inside and out and the family jewels stayed dry. It dried a bit stiff but it worked.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33