Floating Jigs

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I did a search and found some info,but not enough.I was wondering I use regular floating jig heads the ones that look like a ball head jig.The screw ball type and the gum drop floaters are they anything special??I mean really I think I've caught more fish on a plain hook and split shot then on a floating jig.Do the screwball and gum drop floaters make a difference??Just thinkin out loud.

Thanks for any opinion!

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Floaters are very effective for keeping live bait off the bottom ( weeds ) and one of my fav early spring tricks is a 3 way with a floating jig and minnow on the river at .6 to .8 MPH

wi0410_3WayRiverRigsB.jpg

Or for shore fishing in a Lindy rig configuration.

Phelps floaters ( soft foam ) are my favorite

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I like that setup huff. Use it on the lake some when into weeds or just want the bait up a little higher.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't know they made Phelp's floaters anymore. I've seen times when a Phelp's floater was the only thing productive. I make up a bunch of live bait rigs with the barrel floaters on them; I usually go to them if the fish seem pretty aggressive; add a spinner when I want to cover water a little more quickly and the fish are aggressive.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I do the same.

I remember using the floater barrels to rig up shore fishing setups back in the day. I'll probably try that again this summer.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dakota Tackle in Bismarck has a great selection of floating jigs. I call them Phelps floaters but they might not be the same thing.

A safety pin helps keep them neat and tidy in my 3700 box :)

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am strictly a shore fisherman and Wade at Dakota Tackle put me on some lil corkie's from Yakima Bait and I Have been using them since

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74