Ford chipped keys

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I bought my 08 ford pickup it only came with one key so I had an extra key made just to be on the safe side and almost fainted when I found out the price of chipped keys. $ 60 at fleet farm and another gentleman overheard our conversation and said he paid over $100 for his at a dealer. So my question is , If I got unchipped keys cut and hide my chipped keys in the cab will the outfit still start and run with no problems ? The guy at the key counter told me it might lock up the system and that would cost a lot to get it unlocked again, Is that a fact ? It probably doesn't matter so much at this point since I have two keys but If I do happen to lose a key I'd just as soon it was a cheap key rather than an expensive one.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm may be off on your question. But you can make a non chipped key and it will open doors. I don't belive if you stuck it in the ignition it would lock anything out as the is a process to reprogram new chipped keys to the vehical.

- - - Updated - - -

If it makes you feel better I was told my 2014 key with remote start and entry built in would be over $200. I am damn carefull with that key and the wife does not carry the spare.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea, my post was poorly written , I'd like to use unchipped keys in the ignition also. I would hide the chipped keys in a secure place in the vehicle and not use them.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had Some bad luck last year working 800 miles from home and locked the keys in the company truck. We contacted the dealership in Fargo and they talked to a dealer in a nearby town who made a key... It unlocked the door but the display on the dash was warning us that the alarm would be activated if the engine wasn't started. This is a ford,2014 I think. Anyway I think if you put a unchipped key in the ignition it won't start and the alarm will go off

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had Some bad luck last year working 800 miles from home and locked the keys in the company truck. We contacted the dealership in Fargo and they talked to a dealer in a nearby town who made a key... It unlocked the door but the display on the dash was warning us that the alarm would be activated if the engine wasn't started. This is a ford,2014 I think. Anyway I think if you put a unchipped key in the ignition it won't start and the alarm will go off

No door keypad?

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

yep an unprogrammed key will am,e the alarm go off. I have one hidden just in case I get locked our
t or loose my keys. At .east I have shelter while waiting for a good key to show up.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm may be off on your question. But you can make a non chipped key and it will open doors. I don't belive if you stuck it in the ignition it would lock anything out as the is a process to reprogram new chipped keys to the vehical.

- - - Updated - - -

If it makes you feel better I was told my 2014 key with remote start and entry built in would be over $200. I am damn carefull with that key and the wife does not carry the spare.

That's nuts $ 200 for a key. If this works we can at least let our wives carry cheap keys. I dropped the key off and told him to make a couple of them and walked away , Made it about 50 yards and thunk it might be expensive so I went back and asked the price. Sure glad I did.

- - - Updated - - -

But does the chip send a signal or does it conduct through the metal surface of the key itself ? If it is a signal then in my mind this should work .

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
No door keypad?
Yeah it does... But nobody knew what it was. Lol.. The salesman at Luther said , well hopefully it's 1$@& or whatever he said , that's what I usually set the vehicles I sell to just for cases like this. Apperantly he didn't on that one

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea, my post was poorly written , I'd like to use unchipped keys in the ignition also. I would hide the chipped keys in a secure place in the vehicle and not use them.

After more digging I found this post online. Might just get an unchipped key to hide in the box incase my keypad fails and leave chipped keys in the vehicle instead of carry them.

Hi guys. This is my second post on this forum. Thought I'd share this with you. Hopefully it can save some of you some money just like it saved me.

I bought my 2000 Ranger with only one chipped key. After locking it in the truck three times, and subsequently figuring out three different ways to break into my truck, I decided it was time to have copies made. I went to a local hardware store, and they wanted $125 to make me a copy. My jaw hit the floor when they told me that. So I started looking around. Seemed my local Ford stealership could do it for about $90. Still way too expensive for me, so I talked to the guys at theparts counter. It seems that there's a ring around the ignition that reads your chipped key when you put it in the ignition. If it reads the right code, then it allows your truck to start. If the chip is not there, or it's the wrong one, no dice.

Armed with this info, I went to Home Depot and had them cut me a key for a buck-fifty. Then, in their parking lot, I took my dash apart. I pulled out the ignition and then unscrewed the ring that reads the key. It's attached to a wire that runs back into the dash. I zip-tied my chipped key into it, and dropped it back inside the dash. Now my truck is constantly reading the signal from my chipped key. Once I put everything back together, I inserted the non-chipped key, and started my truck with it. Now I can make copies of my key that WILL START MY TRUCK for less than two bucks. Granted, I don't have the 'security' that using a chipped key provides, but that's ok, I keep my doors locked.

Sorry, I didn't have the presence of mind to take pics while I was doing this. I wasn't even sure it would work until I was finished. It's super easy to do, and only takes about twenty mins, including putting everything back together.

I went back to that Ford dealership, and you should have seen the looks on the faces of the mechanics there when I told them I started and drove my truck to their dealership with the non-chipped key in my hand.

So that's it. This is a nice little hack that will save you tons of money when it comes to having new keys made for your truck. Enjoy!
salute.gif

- - - Updated - - -

I learned my lesson with keypads , They work like a charm 99.9999999999999% of the time , Then there is that 00.0000000001 % of the time that makes you want to say sin words. The older ones anyway will just up and quit with no warning. Mine was a double whammy , I called a dealer run the VIN and they made and delivered a key and still was locked out. Then it dawned on me that when my pickup had gotten stolen they used a slide hammer and wrecked the ignition switch so it had to be replaced. Long story short , I learned how a mechanic opens a truck door with shims and a rod. I could have done that in no time with stuff I had on the flatbed.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok I think you know how the chip works now. My mom left me here 04 Buick last year to sell for her. Some how the only key we had for it disappeared in my wife's bottom less pit of a purse the day someone was coming to get it. I was able to get a basic chipped key from the dealership cut for $40 then there was a process to program the new key to the car. This made the old keys unless which turned up later that evening. Point being call the dealership and see what the cheapest key they can make to start the vehicle.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if your not to concerned about theft a small wedge and a coat hanger can get you into most vehicals. I used to charge $5 to get into cars when the servers at my old restraint would lock there keys in there.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you get the key within 25 ft of my Buick you can push the button and it will start. If you hide a key anyone breaking in can start the car with the hidden key. Even if you hide it under the back bumper. A friend of mine called a tire dealer. His car was sitting out front running and they jumped in and took it to the tire store. After the new tires were on they had no key to start the car. My wife likes it, I don't. It's nice for a woman to get in her car without looking for a key or having one in her hand, but not so much for me. A key with chip would be ok with me, but a key with no keyhole I don't like. Ok Ok I'm going to leave that alone.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an 07 f150 that my brother in law found some cheap uncut keys off eBay that had a chip in them that would work in fords, I had to keys so I was blue to program them myself after getting them cut. They work fine, my b.i.l had some issues with his unlock buttons on the cheap keys not working but they start the pickup. I will see if I can find the link.

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have gotten the chipped but no pushbuttons for door locks keys off eBay and they have worked well (something like two for 15-20$ shipped, they sent me faulty or wrong keys once, I just emailed them and they sent new ones with no additional charge), however you have to program them (in addition to getting them cut of course). I have gotten them for 2003, 2008, and 2013 Fords. If you have two working chipped keys you can program other keys yourself, check owners manual or Google search for procedure, eBay vendor will probably send instructions with your keys. I get them cut at local hardware store here in Bismarck, they also sell and apparently program chipped keys. I just got one eBay key cut there the other day and it sounded like they might have been willing to program it for me (for a fee I presume) as well but I said I could do it myself as I still had two working chipped keys.

You might be able to find code for a Ford outside door keypad under the dash someplace (probably have to Google search for particular vehicle), I was able to do that for the 2003. Ford dealer should be able to retrieve code probably for a fee as well. Once you have code you can probably add a new code you can remember.

Putting a chipped key in the steering column method described earlier would probably work as well, some do it your self remote start kit installations require similar use of a chipped key for remote start function to work.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This whole fugging thread just made my head hurt.

Seriously, what the eff was wrong with a standard key? Not like chips in keys have put car thieves out of business.

PapaWoodie

Founding Member
Founding Member
This whole fugging thread just made my head hurt.

Seriously, what the eff was wrong with a standard key? Not like chips in keys have put car thieves out of business.

I lost a chipped key for my 15 f350 with remote start on it. Found a company on the big auction site who sold me 2 keys for 38 bucks, free shipping. haven't gotten them yet. Called Schocks lock, they will cut it, and program 1 for 50 buck. I can program the 3rd one after first 2 are programmed. Hoping to be 2 keys richer for under a hundred bucks!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88