Frabill Ambush DLX or other popup?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Currently have a Clam Voyager TCX and like it, but bought a short bed PU a couple weeks ago and need a shorter sled/house so I can close the tailgate. The TCX is 72 inches long.
Been looking a few that are no longer than 66 inches (sled) There's a few options out there. Clam Yukon insulated. Frabill Ambush DLX and Otter Pro Cabin. So far like the Frabill but looking for other thoughts before I make the decision. The Voyger will be for sale once I get a new one.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Currently have a Clam Voyager TCX and like it, but bought a mini van a couple weeks ago and need a shorter sled/house so I can close the trunk. The TCX is 72 inches long.
Been looking a few that are no longer than 66 inches (sled) There's a few options out there. Clam Yukon insulated. Frabill Ambush DLX and Otter Pro Cabin. So far like the Frabill but looking for other thoughts before I make the decision. The Voyger will be for sale once I get a new one.

Fixed it for u.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Currently have a Clam Voyager TCX and like it, but bought a short bed PU a couple weeks ago and need a shorter sled/house so I can close the tailgate. The TCX is 72 inches long.

I did a little research on these on the internet and the Otter was bragged up pretty good compared to other flip overs.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Otters are tough to beat. Best sleds and poles for sure. They also have a lot of good accessories. I have about a 5 year old thermal top cabin. It's been a great house. Id buy another Otter in a heartbeat. Keep on eye on Reeds Sports, they can have some great deals this time of year.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fished in them all and prefer the the Frabil for side door access making a higher front as well as durability seems to be among the best. I won't speak to their customer service as I haven't dealt with them.

- - - Updated - - -

I've fished in them all and prefer the the Frabil for side door access making a higher front as well as durability seems to be among the best. I won't speak to their customer service as I haven't dealt with them.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fixed it for u.
Most of us don't have a garage the size of a fuckin barn. Short bed is fine for what I do. If you need a semi that's your issue tough guy.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for the real responses guys

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Most of us don't have a garage the size of a fuckin barn. Short bed is fine for what I do. If you need a semi that's your issue tough guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, come on, that was a solid joke.

Back to topic. I have a frabill. I like it, but the otter has better fabric imo. And I also, like the side doors, but it does add a slight hitch with setting up and taking down. The side doors means it needs a different bar setup. So it is not a simple flip up-flip down.

In the end, they are a horse a piece, but if I was buying again I would go otter.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry didn't mean to upset anyone. I would go with the Frabill also.
FB_IMG_1453139811252.jpg

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Frabill I have a older model that I've used the hell out of the bars still work the way they are suppose to a buddy of mine has a otter and the bars gave him problems right away plastic in a ice house yea no problems there.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I regress, that didn't come out the way I wanted it to. Apologize for the stupid comment I should read my stuff before I go to bed. Thanks for the input guys

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not just keep the one you have, which is an awesome setup BTW, and run with the tailgate down?

I have a Yukon TC and my buddy has a Voyager TCX and we both love them. The Otters get pretty heavy and the sled is HUGE. I can load both mine and my buddys loaded up with gear by myself which is nice. When we fish together we use his obviously because its a little bigger.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my Frabil Ambush DLX. The only downside is the doors are hard to zip completely shut if the tarp is too tight. I usually just leave the bottom unzipped anyway.

I've got a crew cab with the real short box so I bought a large hitch carrier and made a drop hitch bracket to lower it about 6" to haul my house. Now I can drop the end gate without unloading the house and I've got the whole bed to haul my other gear.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is a good house, I do like the lightness of the set up But worried about losing stuff out the back. I have a tonneau cover and like that I can hide stuff under it and lock the tailgate.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is a good house, I do like the lightness of the set up But worried about losing stuff out the back. I have a tonneau cover and like that I can hide stuff under it and lock the tailgate.

You wont be able to close the tonneu cover with an Otter, the sleds are to high, not sure about the Frabill. In a crew cab chevy the otter cabin actually has to go in backwards and then the lip of the sled rests a little on the tail gate.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
You wont be able to close the tonneu cover with an Otter, the sleds are to high, not sure about the Frabill. In a crew cab chevy the otter cabin actually has to go in backwards and then the lip of the sled rests a little on the tail gate.

I am able to close my tonneu cover with my Frabill. Toyota Tundra pickup.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

haha, awesome

#minivansareneat

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently bought the Frabill Predator 4255. Not what you are looking at but I can attest to the side doors. They are sweet! So much easier coming in and out. The vertical front makes it easier to have you heater right up against the tarp. As far as the sled goes it seemed to me that the otter was heavier duty but I will not be doing a great amount of pulling it around the lake so that wasn't a huge deal. Frabill makes one that has a built in rod case under the bench seat. Not sure if the ambush has that but it looked pretty handy. As far as accessories go you can mix and match most accessories between brands. Once i get some pictures I plan to put up a review of mine and will elaborate a little more on the accessories.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 151
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52