Truck Shopping

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been doing "market research" on new 1/2 ton trucks for months now. I believe I have reached the point of "paralysis by analysis"...information overload. I have done all the reading/researching/video watching I can stand. Next weekend the wife and I are going to Bismarck...plan to drive the F-150 V8/5.0 and the Silverado/RST/Trailboss V8 5.3 & 6.2. I'll drive the Ram V8/5.7 up here in Minot. These are my thoughts just based on the research I've found:

Ford - the V8/5.0 is the only option...do not want the 3.5 EcoBoost/the 5.0 mated to the 10 speed transmission has gotten great reviews...few if any issues that I have found plus the 2021 now has 400HP/I currently have a 2014 F150 with the 5.0L/6 speed transmission 105K miles...zero issues/being a current Ford owner of course I am partial. The only trim package I like price/appearance/options considered is the STX or XLT...but I don't like chrome.

Chevy/GMC - Silverado/RST or Trailboss trim with the 6.2L is what I am looking at. Every review/video states the 5.3L...especially in the Trailboss trim is underpowered...355HP...so want to test drive the 6.2L...if I go with the Silverado paying $2.5K more on a $55K truck is really nothing to get the engine you want/I do like the GMC Sierra/Elevation trim package but cannot get it with the 6.2L...only the AT4...don't like the AT4 look.

Ram - like the Big Horn trim but again don't like chrome so have few options here except night edition or built to serve edition but they are tough to find/my only other concern with Ram is the fact the shifter is a dial...seems weird?

I prefer column shifter...so Chevy/GMC gets points there - Ford STX/XLT trims have column shifter too. Chevy/GMC gets more points for the tailgate/bed...like everything about that. Far as the interiors go...all 3 with the center console are good by me...like I said want a column shifter for more space in center console area.

Those are my general thoughts...will report more findings as I begin driving the different models. The timing of my buy will depend on truck availability/prices/etc. My hope is that in the next few months if the microchip supply shortage eases, maybe Chevy & Ford can push out all the 2021 trucks that are sitting outside at plants waiting. Do not want a 2022...want a 2021. Anyway, this will be my last full size truck new purchase...retire in 7 years - so I'm trying to enjoy the process much as possible. Oh yea - I have looked at the Nissan Titan/Pro 4X...I like the 5 year/100K bumper to bumper...the 5.6L/9 speed is a good set up/brand new 2021s are close to $60K...so considering I can get the Chevy with the 6.2L for $5K less can't see that happening. Anyway, that's where I'm at with this...sorry for the long post!

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A couple thoughts to consider. I think you'll be hard pressed to get a 21', we've had 22's in our fleet at the shop for 2-3 months already and those were ordered trucks in April/May. If your afraid of the 5.3L not having enough power (which I agree) and your gonna drive a 6.2L then you might as well scrap driving a 5.0 ford or a 5.7 dodge as you'll be sorely disappointed. They're both better than the 5.3L but no match for the 6.2, it's not even close. With that said, your doing yourself a disservice by not considering the ford 3.5L Ecoboost. We have several with a few over 200k miles that haven't had a thing done other than regular maintenance. it's the only engine from any of the three that can run with a 6.2 and it when it comes to towing, it's in a whole different category. The other note is if you like the AT4 in the GM, then you should be comparing it to the Ford Tremor and the Ram Rebel.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ND ,don't get your hopes up thinking you'll have a good selection of2021 and now 2022 current Chevrlet body style,slim pickens nation wide,further prices on new trucks,most dealers today full sticker (due to lack of availability) price less any cash from the factory,$1000 in my area,one dealer near my small town here in minn,was advertising they're 2021 suburban,sale price was $20k over sticker price,none around,so be mindful and if possible slow your purchase process,

Further the "new generation" 2022 1500 silverado startup is january 2022,big changes,hopefully good changes...

you won't find a glut of 2021 GM trucks anywhere,iifin you check out the rice burner (nissan) slam the truck door,sounds like a tin can unlike ford/GM trucks with side impact enforcement,not sure about dodge? price wise if your dodge dealer has trucks dodge most often is the cheapest,they don't sell well nationally so bigger retail incentives.

Goodluck!

Word on Gm trucks things will get back to normal by 2023/inventory & prices

Last edited:

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
F150’s 5.0L is way to go know several people with them and are not disappointed, the aluminum frame is pretty light, but 5.0L provides plenty of power in that truck

The 5.7L in Tundra and Ram is also solid, Tundra is my current truck for the last sevene years with no complaints other than tiny fuel tank in the year I have
…and well Dodge is Dodge, although they have made vast improvements in cabin comfort and features

However the 6.2L hands down is the cats meow in ½ tons the AT4 and Trail boss towing jumps up significantly and the 6.2L is available in the Denali if you don’t like AT4 trim…that said it pushes the upper limits of ones pocket book as well

Bottom line F150 is probably the best bang for buck…however if you need the power and don’t mind opening the wallet the 6.2L is your huckleberry…but don’t think you want an F150 then drive the 6.2L you won’t go back

…just my $.02 worth

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Years ago i bought a 97 2500 Cummins Dodge and found no need to buy a newer pickup. db

VoodooShaman

Test them all. Drive the Fords the GMs the Toyotas and the Nissans. Find the one you like best and do a nationwide search. Get a flight to pick it up and drive it home. I saved 6k by doing what I just advised. There's way too much money in ND and not enough selection. Hence the reason trucks are outrageous around here.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Test them all. Drive the Fords the GMs the Toyotas and the Nissans. Find the one you like best and do a nationwide search. Get a flight to pick it up and drive it home. I saved 6k by doing what I just advised. There's way too much money in ND and not enough selection. Hence the reason trucks are outrageous around here.

How does one do a nationwide search?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Do that in a year or two when there is no more chip shortage. No good deals out there right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been doing "market research" on new 1/2 ton trucks for months now. I believe I have reached the point of "paralysis by analysis"...information overload. I have done all the reading/researching/video watching I can stand. Next weekend the wife and I are going to Bismarck...plan to drive the F-150 V8/5.0 and the Silverado/RST/Trailboss V8 5.3 & 6.2. I'll drive the Ram V8/5.7 up here in Minot. These are my thoughts just based on the research I've found:

Ford - the V8/5.0 is the only option...do not want the 3.5 EcoBoost/the 5.0 mated to the 10 speed transmission has gotten great reviews...few if any issues that I have found plus the 2021 now has 400HP/I currently have a 2014 F150 with the 5.0L/6 speed transmission 105K miles...zero issues/being a current Ford owner of course I am partial. The only trim package I like price/appearance/options considered is the STX or XLT...but I don't like chrome.

Chevy/GMC - Silverado/RST or Trailboss trim with the 6.2L is what I am looking at. Every review/video states the 5.3L...especially in the Trailboss trim is underpowered...355HP...so want to test drive the 6.2L...if I go with the Silverado paying $2.5K more on a $55K truck is really nothing to get the engine you want/I do like the GMC Sierra/Elevation trim package but cannot get it with the 6.2L...only the AT4...don't like the AT4 look.

Ram - like the Big Horn trim but again don't like chrome so have few options here except night edition or built to serve edition but they are tough to find/my only other concern with Ram is the fact the shifter is a dial...seems weird?

I prefer column shifter...so Chevy/GMC gets points there - Ford STX/XLT trims have column shifter too. Chevy/GMC gets more points for the tailgate/bed...like everything about that. Far as the interiors go...all 3 with the center console are good by me...like I said want a column shifter for more space in center console area.

Those are my general thoughts...will report more findings as I begin driving the different models. The timing of my buy will depend on truck availability/prices/etc. My hope is that in the next few months if the microchip supply shortage eases, maybe Chevy & Ford can push out all the 2021 trucks that are sitting outside at plants waiting. Do not want a 2022...want a 2021. Anyway, this will be my last full size truck new purchase...retire in 7 years - so I'm trying to enjoy the process much as possible. Oh yea - I have looked at the Nissan Titan/Pro 4X...I like the 5 year/100K bumper to bumper...the 5.6L/9 speed is a good set up/brand new 2021s are close to $60K...so considering I can get the Chevy with the 6.2L for $5K less can't see that happening. Anyway, that's where I'm at with this...sorry for the long post!

Why not a new Tundra? The new ones look pretty slick and they are no longer gas hogs!
Honestly with that fixed I don’t know of a negative about the Toyota Tundra

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have ta think right now is the absolute worst time to be truck shopping with whats going on. There is no inventory to be had. Prices through the roof.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND ,don't get your hopes up thinking you'll have a good selection of2021 and now 2022 current Chevrlet body style,slim pickens nation wide,further prices on new trucks,most dealers today full sticker (due to lack of availability) price less any cash from the factory,$1000 in my area,one dealer near my small town here in minn,was advertising they're 2021 suburban,sale price was $20k over sticker price,none around,so be mindful and if possible slow your purchase process,

Further the "new generation" 2022 1500 silverado startup is january 2022,big changes,hopefully good changes...

you won't find a glut of 2021 GM trucks anywhere,iifin you check out the rice burner (nissan) slam the truck door,sounds like a tin can unlike ford/GM trucks with side impact enforcement,not sure about dodge? price wise if your dodge dealer has trucks dodge most often is the cheapest,they don't sell well nationally so bigger retail incentives.

Goodluck!

Word on Gm trucks things will get back to normal by 2023/inventory & prices

Do that in a year or two when there is no more chip shortage. No good deals out there right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not a new Tundra? The new ones look pretty slick and they are no longer gas hogs!
Honestly with that fixed I don’t know of a negative about the Toyota Tundra

5.7 Tundras aren't gas hogs. The fuel gauge needs calibration. I have 2012 Tundra. Before was a 5.3L 2006 Silverado. A few weeks ago, I rented 2018 Silverado (all 1/2 tons). Mileage on my Tundra is better than the 2006 Silverado. Mileage was neck and neck with the 2018 Silverado. I bought the Tundra because I was tired of a pickup with no power. My next pickup will be a Duramax or another Tundra.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^Do not believe the 2022 Tundra's come in a V8?

nope with the v6 turbo that has been ran in Mercedes for some years. 6.5 boxes on some models so that is way better. I have a 14 tundra and love it but it is a gas hog and has a small tank. Power is good but the eco boosts are way better can’t wait for the turbos in new tundra.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duramax = very high fuel prices, gelling issues suck so #1 required winter months and that shit is already nuts. Would like to pedal my 04 , but don't use that much to justify a new $60k truck sitting around. Hunting season and pulling boat is about it. Buddies 17 Tundra makes.him sick with the shit fuel mileage.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
PS... GM line of trucks,currently GM has CONSTRAINT on the 6.2lit engine,who know's when they lift it? 1500's with the 6.2lit engine short supply for now.

I kinda like chevrolet's trail boss look,heavy duty chassis with a 2" factory body lift gives a good look.

Also GM's 3lit duramax in the 1500 has/will be upgraded from the little infomation released,40+ mpg's 13k trailer weight,looks good on paper.

I'm on the fence purchasing a new truck,first off with vehicle shortages,high prices....upside is dealer's paying bookoo bucks for trades.

I don't need a full size truck these days,and suv won't cut it,eye balling the colorado ZR2 crew,this over the regular coloradoi has HD suspenion,over all truck is hands down more heavy duty than the standard colorado.

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Snow...agree completely...my truck is fine...running great...7 years old and 105K miles and only issue it's ever had was a $12 seal on the coolant system went bad - had to be replaced. This purchase is going to be my last full size truck...retiring in 7 years - good Lord willing. Wanted to get a new truck this winter - get the break in on the motor done before spring when it would have to start pulling the boat. What I have come to realize is that the "perfect" truck doesn't exist. A "perfect" truck would involve melding together certain pieces/parts/specs of 4 or 5 trucks...which obviously will never happen! We're planning to spend 2 weeks in the Cour de Lane area next summer...taking the boat...want a new truck for the trip. So guess my timing sucks...but gonna get a new truck this winter one way or another...I think!

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also in search for new truck. Generally trade every 5 years. Currently have a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 with only 44k miles. Have generally done better over the years buying new outright and selling my trucks. Found a new GMC 2500 at the GMC dealer in Mandan and when I inquired about the truck I was informed that they were asking full MSRP PLUS an additional $2000 for no trade. Needless to say I continue to drive my 2015.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Also in search for new truck. Generally trade every 5 years. Currently have a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 with only 44k miles. Have generally done better over the years buying new outright and selling my trucks. Found a new GMC 2500 at the GMC dealer in Mandan and when I inquired about the truck I was informed that they were asking full MSRP PLUS an additional $2000 for no trade. Needless to say I continue to drive my 2015.

WOW!;:;banghead

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member

WireH,You obiviosly know book value on your 2015,have this dealer crunch #'s on your 2015,regardless on miles and your truck is clean inside and out,you will be surprised what this dealer will pay for your trade...this iffin you really want a new truck,limited selection nation wide on new trucks = very few used trucks coming in on trade,big money for trades.

Buddy just sold his 2021 2500 loaded GMC crew to a dealer (not a trade)as he no longer needs a 3/4 ton truck,he paid $63k new,dealer paid $59k,buddy drove said truck for 12months,truck had 30k miles....he scored big,now he's waiting for the new generation chevrolet 1500 coming out,but truckless....

Car dealers are feeling the pinch,big and small dealers alike,no new vehicle sales = no trades to sell,no trades slows the shop down as all trades go thru the shop for repairs,if needed,general maintenance etc.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84