Funny co-angler classics

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple of years ago my Pastor and I were shorefishing in the tailrace. He's from Indiana, by way of Colorado, and had catfish on his brain. We were using smelt and big weights to hold in the current.

He's a big dude, and was jumping all over the place, struggling to bring in what appeared to be a large fish. I had in my mind sturgeon, catfish, paddlefish - surely something big. It was really fighting, but slowly coming in...

Was the crusty metal top to a five gallon buckets, all covered in clay and gravel. Was shimmying in the current. Sad, he was...

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple of years ago my Pastor and I were shorefishing in the tailrace. He's from Indiana, by way of Colorado, and had catfish on his brain. We were using smelt and big weights to hold in the current.

He's a big dude, and was jumping all over the place, struggling to bring in what appeared to be a large fish. I had in my mind sturgeon, catfish, paddlefish - surely something big. It was really fighting, but slowly coming in...

Was the crusty metal top to a five gallon buckets, all covered in clay and gravel. Was shimmying in the current. Sad, he was...

Just happened to me yesterday :) Got a bit, set hook, couldn't move fish. Thought it was huge, then I thought I was snagged, then it moved and I thought it was a huge fish again. Then it felt much smaller and I reeled it in.

5# pike wrapped around a tree branch. Branch broke off and came in with fish.

Twas quite sad indeed :(

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just happened to me yesterday :) Got a bit, set hook, couldn't move fish. Thought it was huge, then I thought I was snagged, then it moved and I thought it was a huge fish again. Then it felt much smaller and I reeled it in.

5# pike wrapped around a tree branch. Branch broke off and came in with fish.

Twas quite sad indeed :(

Luckily for myself, I don't look so foolish when this happens to me. I don't start yelling "hey, I GOT A BIG one". Nope, I don't ever tell anyone I have a fish until it's in my hands. Nope, that would be dumb. Lucky I'm not dumb. Lucky.. dumb...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The pooping next to an ice house us a running spoof. He is playing off of your response, since Wisconsin folks getting caught poaching in ND is also an ongoing ... thing. Dont take it personal. All in good fun.

Or, go ahead and take it personal if it'll get you and every 'Sconi who's ever been here to leave and not come back.

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or, go ahead and take it personal if it'll get you and every 'Sconi who's ever been here to leave and not come back.

Thats funny, growing up in west central MN, thats the same exact thing we said about those damn flatlanders!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah I am a flatlander. Have hunted elk in Montana and Colorado and when you get above 12,000 ft there just not enough air. Have to stop and tell lungs to breath deep or pass out, which I did after cutting horns off buddys bull elk. We were hunting around the Mt Sneffles area by Telluride, shot his bull above the tree line. Interesting pack out to say the least. By the way you squareheads would not fare any better.:;:duel

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
One time, there was a mature gentleman that took his boat and half working motor out for a journey. His reel was malfunctioning along with his jig and plastic. Two young(ish) guys put on a clinic and felt bad for the grey-haired gentleman.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm glad they were empathetic. I hope they showed how to be above a tool. Fish preferences will evolve with constant pressure and there's danger that disrespect will disturb your "Zen".

Last edited:

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
One time, there was a mature gentleman that took his boat and half working motor out for a journey. His reel was malfunctioning along with his jig and plastic. Two young(ish) guys put on a clinic and felt bad for the grey-haired gentleman.

I seem to remember a similar situation...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
large16.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50