Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have an old ornamental bird house that sits about 2' off the ground. Yesterday while trimming shrubs I heard a buzzing sound and come to find out that the birdhouse has a yellowjacket nest inside. I put a trash can over it hoping the sun would cook them but since it is in a rock garden, the trash can doesn't seal at the bottom and it took them a fraction of a second to figure that out. I guess I will have to dress in protective gear and douse the house with a diatomaceous earth slurry that has worked in the past. Wish they were pollinators but all they do is destroy apples and other fruit. I did get stung once yesterday when I was dinking with them. My own fault for sure.
They are a pain in the ass. . .

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Need someone to come in and do some draintile on my sweetcorn patch after that last little gully washer. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wife and I become 90% vegetarian for when the garden gets going about 4 months of the year. Been a tough one this year, from hail to weather changes every few days. Have made it though, might be a little late but if uncle frost stays away we will be fine with plenty to share. Hope others have faired better. LB and Bun.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rain events really put a damper on the garden for us to. Yielded some good potatoes, cucs and zucchini so far. Tomatoes are coming along but need time. They seem thinner on the leafs this year. Pumpkins are looking good

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been a good growing conditions up here except for the cool weather early on. So far the deer have stayed out but that might change after the electric fencer quit working and waiting on warranty. Been eating like rabbits and freezers are full. sweet corn is still a ways away

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same here, lots of tomatoes (3 big boy and 1 cherry tomato) but the big tomatoes are not ripping, the cherry tomatoes are just starting to ripen, and some are as big as fifty cent pieces. 200 plus cucumbers off of 3 plants and jalapeños are doing very well. Haven’t dug any potatoes yet.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive got a lot of aronia right now, picked and juiced 10 gallons last weekend, got at least 10x that much left on the bushes...

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Need someone to come in and do some draintile on my sweetcorn patch after that last little gully washer. LB
On my land, there is a pretty solid layer of clay that is about 2 inches thick, down 16-18 inches from the surface. I bought a ripping claw, with single digger from land pride that will rip down to about 22 inches. If your land is similar to mine, ripping that are up pretty good will create enough cuts/spaces in that clay layer to allow the water to drain through, otherwise it just sits there.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan, what did you get for a tractor ?
nothing... yet, kinda keeping my eyes open for a good deal. Im think what Id probably like is a little 25hp with a FEL for small tasks, newer, AWD with HST. And then an older tractor that can do some heavy work, maybe with FEL or without, not as important, but something bigger/heavier for doing some dirt work and stuff like that.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
nothing... yet, kinda keeping my eyes open for a good deal. Im think what Id probably like is a little 25hp with a FEL for small tasks, newer, AWD with HST. And then an older tractor that can do some heavy work, maybe with FEL or without, not as important, but something bigger/heavier for doing some dirt work and stuff like that.
https://www.bismanonline.com/mandan_nd/2018_john_deere_4044m_compact_tractor_w_loader_bu

or

https://www.bismanonline.com/bismarck_nd/ct450_bobcat_tractor_with_l9_loader_new_tires_all

or

https://www.bismanonline.com/mandan_nd/2006_bobcat_ct120_tractor_w_loader_w_king_kutte

Some of the ones currently listed on Bisman. All 3 look like pretty decent deals (??) so it just depends on how much you want to spend. There's also TractorHouse.com that is easily searchable/sortable to find tractors in ND and bordering states. FWIW, my tractor is 43 hp.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.bismanonline.com/mandan_nd/2018_john_deere_4044m_compact_tractor_w_loader_bu

or

https://www.bismanonline.com/bismarck_nd/ct450_bobcat_tractor_with_l9_loader_new_tires_all

or

https://www.bismanonline.com/mandan_nd/2006_bobcat_ct120_tractor_w_loader_w_king_kutte

Some of the ones currently listed on Bisman. All 3 look like pretty decent deals (??) so it just depends on how much you want to spend. There's also TractorHouse.com that is easily searchable/sortable to find tractors in ND and bordering states. FWIW, my tractor is 43 hp.
seems the price of small used tractors has been dropping lately, ive seen some decent deals at auction, if I was willing to drive to PA or TX...

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
seems the price of small used tractors has been dropping lately, ive seen some decent deals at auction, if I was willing to drive to PA or TX...
Maybe keep an eye on Orr's auction house online Jmst. Have seen some nice units before. I think it is online bidding but a lot of stuff can be seen prior.
About 5 miles south on hwy281

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 138
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 42