Garmin and Humminbird questions

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone tried using the 360 degree trolling motor ducer for ice fishing? Since you don't need to be moving when using the 360 when anchored. I think it would give you a better picture

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
playing with the sidescan in dirtymikes boat last weekend the one thing i noticed that was pretty interesting was what i would normally think is good "fish holding" structure (boulders, rocks, etc.) and what/where the fish actually hung out were waaaayy off - just slight dips or impressions would have fish, right out in the middle of no where. Crazy.

Downscan looks way cool but i so far have failed to see how it could help a guy catch fish over a nice 2d sonar. How do you use der kurtr?

Alot in the trees we have here and it seems I find little hidden structure and can dissect it better with the down than 2d.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I always wondered about the Garmin units. They just look like they are from this century. I have always had the same reservations as others tho, what lake chips will work in them.

Does garmin offer structure mapping? (drive around and sonar an area and have it update the contouring on your map)

Aquaholic

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love using Helix side imaging on the missouri. I will not drop a line until little white streaks show up. With sandy bars, not much structure to mess you up. Jason Halfen's help will test me on the big lake this summer. I have not tried 360 yet, but will wait watch and listen to others first. Could make ice fishing more interesting. At least you know where they're moving if you dont have a camera.

Good luck with the pick.

tomasz20

Established Member
I have a Garmin 52dv echomap chirp and its the best had it just for a year and its good.

Kasey

Founding Member
Founding Member
The map that comes pre loaded in the Garmin shows Lake Sakakawea contours in 10' increments. You can map it with their on the water structure mapping. It's called "quickdraw"

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 14