Humminbird networking question

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have a 859 on my bow plugged into my minn kota trolling motor. I have been wanting to buy a helix 9 mega this spring mostly because the 9 could network and have mega which the 7 couldn't. Well now with the new helix 7 si G3n it appears that is has mega and can be networked. I know alot of people will tell me to get the bigger screened 8" 9" or 10" but money for Me is an issue. I thought if I could run Mega full screen on the console, I also have a Lowrance elite 5 at the console i could run in 2 D or the navionics chip. I was told that I would be able to also view the side image on my 859 even though it doesn't have si if it were networked with a unit that has si. So my question for People that have networked units how does it work? Could i only see si on the front unit if the si page is active at the back? Or could I see si at the bow while still seeing down image at the back or 2D? From what i have seen online the ethernet hub and cable will run Me around $300 so I'm just trying to get a feel for if its going to be worth if for me to connect the 2 units. I should be able to see waypoints from the back unit to the front but do they physically move onto the front unit or only visible if have the back unit on? I really didn't want to drop a grand on one but it looks like the 7G3N will be $800 and the 8 G3n will be $900 and has 2 sd slots so I could map chip and autochart without having to swap chips every time which I would have to do with the 7. I thought that would be a big deal for Me but now not sure how much I would autochart. Looking to buy maybe at the Scheels spot at sport show they tend to knock off $100 to $200 at the show. Also if its still cheaper online would scheels price match at the sport show booth? I know alot of questions but appreciate any input.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you have units networked together you'll be able to use the Si or Di at both units independently (one unit on 2d sonar and other unit on Si or Di). And and to my understanding I don't think you can network with the 859 unit. It has to be a g2n or g3n, basically a networking compatible unit. I could be wrong on this about the 859 but I have no clue. Sharing waypoints will show on all units that are networked together. No need to hit a waypoint on one unit and then run to the bow and hit the waypoint on that unit. You hit waypoint on one and it will show up on both. And once a waypoint is in the graph you will be able to see the waypoint regardless if the other graph is powered up or not. What do you have for a trolling motor? It's nice sometimes to run the trolling motor from the graph for cruise control and auto pilot for trolling. That's if you have your graphs and trolling motor hooked up to the network box. It's not necessary but it's nice and kind of a pain in the butt with the lakemaster chip if you fish allot of different states and lakes, you have to buy 2 lakemaster chips (one for each graph) if you fish different areas. I have dakotas, minnesota, Wisconsin, montana, rainy lake and river. Which gets expensive at 100 to 150 bucks a piece. I have helix 9 mega Si g2n and helix 12 g2n and terrova all networked. Nice to have mega si on the 12 when I didn't have to pay mega price. I haven't had any issues besides getting everything set up rite on the settings on each graph when I first installed, took me a couple weeks of trouble shooting and talking with humminbird on the phone but we got it figured out. Mega imaging was only 2 weeks old when I did the networking. As far as auto chart live I haven't played with that yet but it's something I'm interested in cause some areas I fish the lakemaster chip lake contour doesn't necessarily match up with my depth on my 2d, and yes I've played with lake water offset and it still don't add up, so for that reason I'd like to map that area. Scheels should price match anything except Amazon and Ebay? I think. Maybe someone else can chime in... any other questions feel free to ask as i'l try to help the best I can

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an older terrova model. It works fine now but if it ever quits i would get the newer terrova with i pilot link. I suppose the more likely model scheels would have a big sale on would be the helix 9 G2 with mega si which i would be happy with too if I could pick it up for $750 to $900 at the sport show.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jesus Christ, just how vigorously were you masturbating?!?

- - - Updated - - -

haha, wrong thread and cant figure out how to delete

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have an older terrova model. It works fine now but if it ever quits i would get the newer terrova with i pilot link. I suppose the more likely model scheels would have a big sale on would be the helix 9 G2 with mega si which i would be happy with too if I could pick it up for $750 to $900 at the sport show.

Ya ...i'm not 100% sure on networking an older minnkota...I wanna say it's not goin to work... terrova with I link and bluetooth for updates is the way to go

mdriller

I have a 859 at the counsel of my boat now. I bought 9" mega last year at sport show and tried linking them together.When I would turn on my Mega it would shut down the 859 and go to the start-up screen. It would do this about every 1-2 minutes. I took the 859 in to scheels to have it updated( bought Mega there),just to try. I never could get them to work together. Kind of sucks that was whole reason i bought it because my boat had all birds or else i would have went with an older HDS 9 Gen 2 model. Better sonar if you ask me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84