vehicle mechanics question

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking more along the lines of just a "bad alternator ". Like not charging. Alternator shorts are extremely rare. No? And it should be warm if its shorting even after being off. Especially noticeable in the winter. So, an easy thing to check i guess. Either way. Good point! Thanks. Edit... just Googled. More common then I thought. Sorry.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for tips. Well...the local mechanic plugged it in to his code reader deal to see if it showed any issue. You're saying that won't necessarily show an iffy alternator like I originally suspected?
Parasitic draws/drains will not show up on a computer/code reader

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m having the same issue with my 2002 f150. Takes four to five days to deaden the battery. When I hang an amp clamp on the battery positive wire I see a very small amp draw. I just haven’t taken the time to go after it. I bought a $30 onboard charger and just keep it plugged it. I go a month between driving it quite often.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m having the same issue with my 2002 f150. Takes four to five days to deaden the battery. When I hang an amp clamp on the battery positive wire I see a very small amp draw. I just haven’t taken the time to go after it. I bought a $30 onboard charger and just keep it plugged it. I go a month between driving it quite often.
Got the same problem with a 2011 Ford Ranger. I Just dont drive it enough in the winter. Thinking on getting a battery shut off switch and see if that will work. It has a brake controller in it and I think those extra lights that stay on is my problem. LB

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
@LBrandt
Between the computers running in the background and the brake controller lights staying on, it definitely is running your battery down.
Being you don't drive it very often in the winter, get a battery maintainer with a desulfator like the BatteryMinder 1510. We have quite a few of these and use them on our vehicles and toys like the Polaris General and Honda Goldwing Trike.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the same problem with a 2011 Ford Ranger. I Just dont drive it enough in the winter. Thinking on getting a battery shut off switch and see if that will work. It has a brake controller in it and I think those extra lights that stay on is my problem. LB
I suspect mine is the remote start. Twenty plus years old and doesn’t even work. I might tear the wire off it

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
FORD...........................this is why your battery is draining....duel... ...rofl...

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guy:

We learn to drink beer in my high school shop class. They never knew. db

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a former Tech, I diagnosed more battery draw problems on the Escapes to a bad rear wiper motor. I would remove the fuse for the rear wiper - it will be in the fuse block on the passenger side of the center console. It is fuse # 19 if I remember correctly. Easy thing to try.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a former Tech, I diagnosed more battery draw problems on the Escapes to a bad rear wiper motor. I would remove the fuse for the rear wiper - it will be in the fuse block on the passenger side of the center console. It is fuse # 19 if I remember correctly. Easy thing to try.
Now the above is USEFUL INFO!!! There's other good stuff here too but this is "Been there, done that" type of stuff that can save a person a whole load of time and headache.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have auto start and are not using vehicle very much, turn main controller off. Big juice drain when not used regularly.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I suspect mine is the remote start. Twenty plus years old and doesn’t even work. I might tear the wire off it
This right here. Anybody with battery being drained and having after market remote start. Remove and highly likely problem solved.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82