Been 3 years

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alot of retirement talk when people get to be in later or mid 50s. TThey all say when you gonna hang it up and i say not for a while when are you - same comment back. Plus i know some that did and they are doing anything during the week as their friends are working. So its either make new ones or conform to the workin bunch. You find out that you cant fish everyday.

My retirement at least the way i see it will be gradual. Its not a money thing its more of how i will end up doing it for my mind and body.

Inflation - had to kick some retirees ass. You can have a budget --- but in the last 2 years -- that budget is outdated. Instead of whip out another k for repair job --- its several Ks. I seen the inflation of the 70s - - this one is totally different as it sneaks up on people as they really dont realize the costs (other than groceries) until its to late. Then the fact that productivity fell so bad in this country and the managers are blind to it. Layoffs --- regardless how short labor is --- these companies will cut people before showing big losses. My thought is the length of this recession is going to be much longer than past recessions; less % of Unemployment however one never knows.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have two friend who were in highway patrol, both retire in early 50 with about 90% of their salary pension. However, it is my understanding it is not as good now. db
Those guys have a very short life expectancy. Shift work and sedentary work shaves many years off a guy’s life. It’s uncanny how many retired LEOs and firemen die within a few years of retirement.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I live long enough to retire I’m gonna buy a CAT 930 and spend my days doing vigilante snow removal all over town. Those coppers won’t take me alive.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My .02 to this conversation is this...if you have considerable assets and are insurable, look into Long Term Care insurance. Earlier the better, premium is less(even tho u may not need the coverage for a number of years, if at all). Think SOME newer policies actually have a life insurance benefit if no one uses the long term care portion.
Dad did that and it worked out for him. He was very wealthy too so that helps, insurance was not cheap, put if needed it pays in the long run.

Dryfly36

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heath care with the VA and could drop my share of the supplement but not comfortable doing that. Would cut my supplement cost by over half.

Wife had cancers and that bill was well in the 6 numbers. Zero cost to us. In fact, i cannot remember any cost to us over the 10 years we been on this.

And i do not know anybody either personally that retire at 50. db
Check into Medica's supplement. My dad had VA benefits and they chose Medica because they had a policy that took in to account the VA benefits and was cheaper than the other supplements. It covered the stuff when he couldn't go to the VA.

Silver

Not trying to take away from Medica, but I am on Medicare and have a Humana supplement.
On January 30th, I am having shoulder replacement.....estimated cost is $30,000.....my cost is $150.
Only advice that I have is check into several supplements.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not trying to take away from Medica, but I am on Medicare and have a Humana supplement.
On January 30th, I am having shoulder replacement.....estimated cost is $30,000.....my cost is $150.
Only advice that I have is check into several supplements.
Good luck on a speedy recovery. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88