Goat Island - Indian Hills

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So the wife and I camped at Indian Hills last weekend. I have fished the area many times in the past, but never really paid attention to the amazing scenery and the actual live goats on the island just east of Pepsi Point! So when the wife saw the goats on the island, she wondered how the hell they got there and how they survive? Long story short, she asked the lady in the store at the campground about the goats. The lady said long time ago, boat wrecked on the island. boat was carrying goats - they survived...and viola...goat island was born. Sounded a little sketch to me, but guess it could have happened? Anyone have any info on the history of Goat Island?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah they have been putting goats on there about the past 3-4 summers, before that I had never seen them on there in the 25 or so years I've been going up there. I'm not quite sure how it originally got its name back in the day other than some goats somehow ending up on there by maybe crossing in the winter or something, but its always been called goat island in my lifetime.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Those goats on goat island love spicy Cheetos, red Licorice, Doritos, Little Debbies, amongst most any snack you may have on your boat. If you pull up on shore and they have any sight of you, they'll normally come right to you like a puppy. Be warned they will board your vessel if given the right opportunity.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
The owners put them out there each summer, herding them onto a boat. They bring them back to the mainland each fall. It actually started with their parents (previous owners). I heard the story last year and it’s quite comical... something about the original goats thrived there and in future years willingly loaded onto a boat and transported over each spring.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s true. I started fishing there in 1990 and they were there. Previous owners Tolly and Byron told me they took them out there each year and took them off before iceup. as for for them not being on the island sometimes, I’m sure some years were missed. Kelly would have more knowledge on that.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88