Gun Safe Locks

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Considering the purchase of a new gun safe. I see locks that are mechanical and electrical. Concerned that the electrical could one day develop a problem (doesn't anything electrical eventually)? Mechanical locks have been around a long, long time and seem fool proof. Right now I am leaning towards the mechanical - hand spin dial Any input or experience here with either type? Any reason I should go electric...most everything I see is set up with electric now.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen too many of my friends have trouble with their electronic locks. I have always had the old reliable turn dial and though they are slower to get into them you will always get into them ( if you don't forget the combination ).
I think you can order a safe with either locks or so it used to be.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm only guessing here but it seems that electric locks have become so prolific because people like the ease and convenience and electronics are cheaper to produce. I have a dial on my safe and if I upgrade to something bigger it will also have a dial. Electronic locks seem like a screen door on a submarine.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have 3 safes two have mechanical locks and one has an electronic lock. One of the safes with a mechanical lock was made in 1899 and is still working fine the electronic one from about 2009 has been replaced once so far.

If it was me I'd stick with a mechanical lock.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the responses.....You've convinced me! I'm going to stick with the mechanical. I was leaning that way but your replies seal the deal.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like pushing buttons, its neat.
But I have the dial on my safe

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
dial here too but it is a pain in the ass. reliable though

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month