Habitat Improvement Time

KJS - ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a reminder, it looks like the weather may finally be turning towards spring - with the cold weather we've been having, the things we all need to do in the spring will be condensed into a shorter period than normal.

Had a buddy ask about planting some cuttings and thought this was a good reminder this year the period between the frost coming out of the ground and the willows/dogwood/other trees breaking bud might be pretty close together.

If you're like me and enjoy planting trees - I recommend you incorporate some cuttings into your spring 'chores' as they are economical (can find in the ditch if you drive around a bit), easy, and a good way to add some browse and cover. Don't miss your shortened window.

Happy planting.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to get some willows started in the low spots on my deer land, but they always seem to croak. Might have some grass issues so the next batch I'm going to use some weed barrier. Maybe that'll help.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you guys cut the willows, do you soak in water or just plant right away?

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you guys cut the willows, do you soak in water or just plant right away?

I soak in water till they start to grow roots and then plant. If the ground is wet enough you probably could just stick them in the ground and they'd grow. Pretty sure the golden willows our conservation service plants are just sticks they put in the ground and they take off.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have some dogwood cuttings in potting soil and root starter currently and around 200 hand plant trees and a large planting that the soil conservation is doing this year also. Frost seeded 4 acres of 3 different types of switchgrass and will plant a few acres of a native grass blend and some wildflowers come spring. Also plan on breaking up about 20 acres for food plots. Deciduous tree survival has increased a lot with the use of tree tubes and my conifer plantings I am seeing about a 2/3 survival rate on their own. The Siberian larches took a beating from rabbits or mice I think so I tubed them with 2’ tubes. Will see how that works.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to get some willows started in the low spots on my deer land, but they always seem to croak. Might have some grass issues so the next batch I'm going to use some weed barrier. Maybe that'll help.

Just as long as they aren't within 400 yds of your house, go ahead. I've really learned to HATE willows.

- - - Updated - - -

I soak in water till they start to grow roots and then plant. If the ground is wet enough you probably could just stick them in the ground and they'd grow. Pretty sure the golden willows our conservation service plants are just sticks they put in the ground and they take off.

That is exactly correct. Take a green willow branch (of any variety) and just shove the SOB in wet ground and you will have a decent recruitment. Easiest frigging trees to plant. I have the SOB's growing in my burn pile every year. If the log falls on the ground, it will take root.

Speaking of 1.5 - 6 inch diameter logs here.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gonna plant a few more apple trees this year.

Anyone know how much it would cost to have a dozer come in and dig a waterhole/pond? Just curious on rough cost. Not sure how they charge, by hour I suppose. Does NRCS offer this service or cost share?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33