Hehn-Schaffer walleye help??

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lunky, to be fair you are the only person I criticize. I'm glad you picked up on my first post as an insult, however comparing Enslow to you was an insult to him. Now here I am, down a rabbit hole with an idiot.
:;:howdy:;:howdy:;:howdy:;:howdy;:;boozer:;:howdy till next time

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
First thing I would do is try to figure out if there are any culverts through the road. If you can find them they likely will be holding fish. Looks to be several lakes in the immediate area so don't limit your self to much.

Screenshot_2016-04-04-16-25-23-1.jpg

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hello. Im from mossouri. My sister is having a baby the middle of may and so I'll be coming up there for a couple days. Hehn-Shaffer lake is not far from their house. I've never done any walleye fishing, but I'd like to when we come up. My sister and her husband don't fish so I am turning to you folks. Would anyone be willing to share any tips or tricks. What kind of baits and how to fish for them. My brother in law does have a boat but I don't know if we'll get to take it out, so it may just be bank fishing. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Not to be a non believer and all, but I find it odd that a person from Missouri misspells their own state.:;:huh

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the helpful and not so helpful replys, lol. That will get me started anyway. My sister says it's not a very big lake. The fact that it's only a couple miles from her house is the reason it interested me.

Fishmission, I'm about an hour south of Kansas city.

Nice area.
Fished for bass and bluegill Easter weekend in southeast Missouri

Redandwhite_72

Not to be a non believer and all, but I find it odd that a person from Missouri misspells their own state.:;:huh

I never even noticed it before you pointed it out. I got a new phone over the weekend and the keyboard is different from my old phone. Yes, the letters are in the same place but the spacing between themy is different. You don't really have to believe me, don't matter. Would you folks not help if I wasn't from missouri? All I can tell you is its a LONG, boring 12 hour drive from Butler, Mo to Cleveland, Nd.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure about Missouri but in ND when fishing open water you are allowed 2 lines. One thing I would consider is a slip bobber for one line with small jig with live bait and casting something on the other. Depending where you end up on lake, the slip bobber by weed lines or riprap and on the casting rod anything from rattletrap to crank to soft plastic. Try to find what is the closest bait shop and try them, may give you information on the lake also. Other thing to remember is we are now all electric licensing, so either get it before getting to who you are visiting or they have access to internet. GL and enjoy ND and the area. dukgnfsn

Redandwhite_72

Other thing to remember is we are now all electric licensing, so either get it before getting to who you are visiting or they have access to internet.

Does that mean you can't just go to Walmart or a baitshop and get a license?

- - - Updated - - -

When using the twister tails, does it matter on the shape of the jig head? I'm assuming I should use colored heads to match the bodys??

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can access the ND game and fish from your phone and save a screen shot of your license. That will work in the event you do not have a printer handy.

Don't worry about matching colors. I know more river rat veterans that use only lead head jigs.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does that mean you can't just go to Walmart or a baitshop and get a license?

- - - Updated - - -

When using the twister tails, does it matter on the shape of the jig head? I'm assuming I should use colored heads to match the bodys??

You can pick up a license at Wal-Mart or baitshop, however neither are close to Gackle. To save time and headache buy it online.

You don't need to match colors, sometimes the contrast will be helpful. Black, blue, purple head with a white or chartreuse plastic. Not sure how much experience you have pitching jigs with spinning gear but....
One thing that does help when pitching jigs is high vis line. Most will be bright green or orange. When you cast the jig out watch the line to determine when the jig hits the bottom (line will go slack) then start hopping the jig back and watch the line as the jig is dropping for a bite. Im sure there are plenty of youtube videos you could watch to pick up some techniques.

As dean mentioned culverts (if water is flowing) will concentrate some fish so you could check that out. It has been a really dry spring so water flows have been low to zero.

Redandwhite_72

You can pick up a license at Wal-Mart or baitshop, however neither are close to Gackle. To save time and headache buy it online.

You don't need to match colors, sometimes the contrast will be helpful. Black, blue, purple head with a white or chartreuse plastic. Not sure how much experience you have pitching jigs with spinning gear but....
One thing that does help when pitching jigs is high vis line. Most will be bright green or orange. When you cast the jig out watch the line to determine when the jig hits the bottom (line will go slack) then start hopping the jig back and watch the line as the jig is dropping for a bite. Im sure there are plenty of youtube videos you could watch to pick up some techniques.

As dean mentioned culverts (if water is flowing) will concentrate some fish so you could check that out. It has been a really dry spring so water flows have been low to zero.

Thanks plukem. I really don't have a lot of experience pitching jigs. I really don't get to fish as much as I would like. And when I do its either farm pond bass fishing or stream fishing for trout. I will have to check out youtube.

Casey D, thanks for your pm.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would suggest using a small hook with a minnow on bottom weighted down by small split shot on light line. I've caught a lot of walleye this way. Very simple but effective from shore.

WT2121

Founding Member
Founding Member
May want to try Alkaline Lake near Streeter. Not far away and decent little walleye and northern pike fishing lake.

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had never heard of that lake. Had to look it up. Walleye are low light feeders so early mornings, evenings and choppy water (windy days) are generally best. Off the top of me head, lead head jigs from shore with white Mr. Twister tails have been good to me. Leeches below bobbers or lindy rigs can also be effective.

How could you never heard of it. It's only 4 miles from Gackle. Everyone has heard of Gackle. I am on the south side Of Gackle in the suburb so the lake is 4.5 miles from me.:)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the helpful and not so helpful replys, lol. That will get me started anyway. My sister says it's not a very big lake. The fact that it's only a couple miles from her house is the reason it interested me.

Fishmission, I'm about an hour south of Kansas city.

Is your sisters name Lisa?

- - - Updated - - -

You can get a license and bait and some fishing tackle at the CO-OP in Gackle.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
looking at that lake i would fish along that road on the sharp drop offs, focus around that point that comes off the road around the 1/2 way point, other possible places would be at the funnel points around the island, depending on time of day, year, wind, cloud cover, water temp, etc. but the sharp elevation changes and structures that stick out in the lake. looks like NDGF stocked it with 50,000 walleye last year and with that small of a lake it should be good fishing.
Stocking report
lake map

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11