Help rigging my rod/reel combos

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could use some advice on how to use the various combos I've accumulated. I've been to several fishing seminars at sports shows but they generally talk about different equipment than I have so I end up confused. Which of my rigs should I use for jigging, crankbaits, bottom bouncers, jigging rapalas, rippin' rapalas etc. Here is what I have.

Diawa 'Strike' 6'6" ultra light power, fast action rod w/ Diawa 6752 reel and 4# mono.

Fenwick HMX 6'6" med. light power, med. fast action rod w/Lews TS200S and 4# Crystal Fireline. Spare spool has 6# Trilene XL mono.

Fenwick HMG 6' med. power, med. fast action rod w/Pfluegar Trion GX7 reel and 10# Trilene Sensation mono. Spare spool has 8# Fireline.

Scheels Proclassic 6' med. light power, med. fast rod w/Lews TS200H reel and 6# orange Fireline.

Scheels Tournament 7' med. power, heavy action rod w/Pfluegar 6940 President reel and 10# Trilene Sensation mono.

Shimano Convergence 6'6" med. power, fast action rod w/Diawa 17LC AccuDepth Plus reel and 14# smoke Fireline.

Scheels Outfitter 6'6" heavy power rod w/Okuma 301LC reel and 18# Suffex lead core line.

Escalade HD 7' heavy power, med. action rod w/Abu Garcia Black Max reel and 20# Suffex 832 braid.

Appreciate any recommendations for these combos.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not super familiar with each of the rods. Which are spinner and which are casting?

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
The first 5 are all spinning reels. The last three are bait casters. The Diawa AccuDepth and the Okuma are line counters.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
My .02

Diawa 'Strike' 6'6" ultra light power, fast action rod w/ Diawa 6752 reel and 4# mono. Panfish/jigging

Fenwick HMX 6'6" med. light power, med. fast action rod w/Lews TS200S and 4# Crystal Fireline. Spare spool has 6# Trilene XL mono. Jigging/ripping raps/jigging raps

Fenwick HMG 6' med. power, med. fast action rod w/Pfluegar Trion GX7 reel and 10# Trilene Sensation mono. Spare spool has 8# Fireline. jigging/ripping raps/jigging raps, and also lindy rig

Scheels Proclassic 6' med. light power, med. fast rod w/Lews TS200H reel and 6# orange Fireline. jigging/jigging rap/rippin raps/

Scheels Tournament 7' med. power, heavy action rod w/Pfluegar 6940 President reel and 10# Trilene Sensation mono. Bottom Bouncers, casting cranks. Could do some bass fishing with this one as well.

Shimano Convergence 6'6" med. power, fast action rod w/Diawa 17LC AccuDepth Plus reel and 14# smoke Fireline. cranking/bouncers

Scheels Outfitter 6'6" heavy power rod w/Okuma 301LC reel and 18# Suffex lead core line. Pulling cranks

Escalade HD 7' heavy power, med. action rod w/Abu Garcia Black Max reel and 20# Suffex 832 braid. cranking/bouncers

For the cranking rods, I generally prefer a rod with glass in it to help absorb some shock and I seem to get better hook ups. Not sure if what you have is glass or not, but I think they would work for cranking either way.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Shimano Convergence rod is stamped IM6, the Scheels Outfitter rod says IM7, the Scheels Proclassic is IM8 as is the Scheels Tournament and Escalade. The Fenwick rods are carbon fiber wrapped. Don't know what the IM numbers mean. Thanks for the recommendations, that's what I'm looking for.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
The higher the IM the more graphite strands are in the rod. The part that confuses me is the new Nano technology that there putting into the rods. Could someone please explain this to me?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88