Hewes Craft...........Thoughts?

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's your guys thoughts on these things? I mean, it seems the weather is never perfect for fishing other than we might hit a good week or 2 of somewhat nice conditions. If a guy wants to go out no matter the conditions it seems like one of these might be the answer? Not saying I'd own one for sure but.......The more I look at it, the more I wonder. What you guys think about these? If you wanted to be able to unload rain or shine and not have to get the rain gear out.

11 hewes.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You give away a lot of fishing space to have the cab. The days that it's rainy enough to soak through great rain gear, there's almost always lightning to go along with it and then you want off the water, cab or no cab.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friends of mine in Alaska have one. Well built. It was too small for a good fishing boat there, but would be great here on the bigger lakes. You do lose alot of useable room with the cabin.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big water trolling for salmonids or ocean vessel where sun protection is needed....OK. Here, I believe you would find more check marks on the negative side than on the positive side for having a cab. However, I've not heard much about Hewes being a poorly made boat or other negatives about the engineering or seaworthiness. Nice lookin' boat too!!

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
We spent five weeks in Alaska the summer before last. I saw very few Lunds (big boat tenders in Skagway), a few Crestliners (Valdez), but lots of Hewes and Bayliner boats. Much of this must be due to those brands being built in the Pacific NW, avoiding lots of freight costs. Yards in Seward had lots of Hewes boats, 22' through about 26'. The non-commercial boats in both Valdez and Seward docks were largely Bayliners.
On our drive home, the last boat dealership we saw with a decent inventory of Hewes boats was in Great Falls, MT.

Filkow

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad had one. Was good dry boat but was a rough sonofabitch. Could definantly feel every wave here on Sak. Also the wind really caught that cab as well.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you were an early spring and late fall junky that didn't like to pitch much, that would be a viable option.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe it would be a pretty rough boat on the big lake on rough days.

RM-Plains

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hopefully it comes with Air ride seats..... Awesome boats tho, Fished all over MT on the Big Lake and Canyon Ferry , Hauser, Hebgan worked very well cold mornings buddy heater if waves allow when trolling... Hard to beat a solid cab for those windy ND days and water spray..

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't rule out other brands if looking into that style of boat, Duckworth, thunder jet, alumaweld, phantom, north river boats, snake river boat builders custom weld among several others. I looked at thunder jets really hard several years back but talked myself out of it. There is a dealer in Billings for them.
http://www.snakeriverboats.com/

Last edited:

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now if it had ac and a fridge you would have the best cranking boat around.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now if it had ac and a fridge you would have the best cranking boat around.

there was a tritoon and the boat show my in-laws where looking at, had a fridge and a grill built in, rear facing recliners. that would be a cranking rig!!! chill in the recliner with a bee... i mean soda. and just have the father in law drive around at cranking speed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 83