HMX Rods

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a new HMX 6-1/2' medium light rod at the Tribune Sport Show this past spring. I've already snapped the rod TWICE and had them replaced. Man... those need ultra sensitive care handling from boat to truck, to rod locker, to truck, and back to boat!

I'm a bit worried that this MSRP $100 (on sale for $50) rod has the necessary sensitivity for jigging, but the life cycle might be on the super short end??

Is that anyone else's experience??

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
so the rod was snapped under normal usage for fish catching???

if not I would probably recommend to not step on it or slam it in truck door

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have 3 of them and they work well. all three are jigging rods, 5'9" length, but at least 5 years old.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
MSRP on an HMX that you are referring is $79.99 and the HMG is $99.99......so I'm not sure which one you are referring to as the description by price and series you describe is crossing over a couple different models. All that aside, I have used both and never had issues with either series breaking. They have worked great.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I broke a couple in the past few years too. they just aren't made as well as they used to be. ever since berkley bought em they've went down hill.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both of the ones I had this spring/summer were from handling, not fishing. Lifted out of the boat and going to place in the back of the pickup (topper) the first one broke clean across the middle as I was transferring it from my left hand to my right hand.

The next rod broke between the upper guide and the next lower guide. The salesperson at Scheels said it could've easily been from shipping/stocking the product between the manufacturer and Scheels store shelves.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88