honker loads/choke combinations

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
what does everybody use for honker loads and choke over decoys. Personally I use federal blue-box or experts with the modified choke that came with my versa max but an looking at a patternmaster long range choke or something along those lines instead. Before I got the versa max I used a full choke and seemed to have a lot more solid hit and less crippled birds.

Just looking for opinions from you "professionals" on what works best for you :::

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
870 wingmaster pump in 3 inch mag. Use fed blue box BB normally, sometimes Xpert BB, with a Mod choke.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a 870 with 3.5in blue box federal with a extended range pattern master. I don't seem to have to much of a problem killing birds with this set up. I hunt a lot with KDM and he kills birds just as good as my setup.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot 3 in #2 through an extended full choke most of the year. If we are hunting in November for honkers I'll switch to a heavy 3.5 inch load but other than that I'll shoot the lighter load.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I hunted waterfowl; IMHO: Use the fastest load of the smallest shot useful in the widest variety of situations. I would want my 35 yd pattern no bigger than a basketball. Perfect world and perfect example of the utility double trigger doublegun. A single trigger is homosexual and is akin to trolling and destroying the planet with "fossil" fuel. It's like rain on your wedding day. It's a free ride when you're already there; it's "ironic". Enjoy the brain voice like a needle; poking and poking. Like a gnat caught in your earwax.

Doublegun-double trigger/two chokes/two shots.

Goose Slayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a super Vinci with a extended range patternmaster.. shoot Kent or federal BB 3.5 inch and am real happy with the results

BearingBurner

Founding Member
Founding Member
What ever is the cheapest, #2 or BB 3in with a extended range patternmaster until it gets to late October ish than i normally stick to heavy metal BB 3in. Get to try out the 10ga this weekend.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kent 3" 2s for ducks and geese mixed hunts. BB for just geese. Modified choke. I think Federal blue box is junk but I'm going to play around with it and the other cheap loads with a Patternmaster more this year to see how it works.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot my factory IC pretty much all season. I have shot many long range birds. I once knew a guy who designed after market chokes and he used to work for benelli. He said the best chokes were the ones from the factory. Many guys ruin their good patterns by shooting 3.5" shells out of their aftermarket chokes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56