Honkers

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not trying to argue with you but not quite sure what you mean by signing the proclamation? We never really had a NR cap, well 30,000 for a little while but that's hardly a cap.

We absolutely had a cap on NR's, 10k until mid 90's. I can remember when it went to 30k from 10k and there was a shitstorm at the advisory meeting concerning economic development.

- - - Updated - - -

Hunt them all day here and they are killing the shit out of them in Pierre. The only place you can get otc tags for waterfowl in Sodak.

I agree with ghost I don't like being soaked when I go out of state to hunt. Blaming out of state people is short sighted and a cop out

What's the cap on NR's in SD for waterfowlers?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We absolutely had a cap on NR's, 10k until mid 90's. I can remember when it went to 30k from 10k and there was a shitstorm at the advisory meeting concerning economic development.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the cap on NR's in SD for waterfowlers?

Otc in Pierre like I said where all the late season hunting is taking place.

- - - Updated - - -

Put a cap on the soaking part is bullshit

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Otc in Pierre like I said where all the late season hunting is taking place.

- - - Updated - - -

Put a cap on the soaking part is bullshit

To each his own, how much is a NR license in SD? Ours is 150.00 for two weeks statewide, I'd like to see it 1500.00 for two weeks, if they don't like it they can go to SD and have fun with the trespass law.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
117.00 for 10 days and some is private land only. It is easy to hunt waterfowl down here just ask only been told no once and that was because family was coming. No racing to fields or someone else setting upon you. Pheasants and deer are alot tougher to get on.

- - - Updated - - -

Charging more for birds than elk is Ludacris

4Buck

Founding Member
Founding Member
117.00 for 10 days and some is private land only. It is easy to hunt waterfowl down here just ask only been told no once and that was because family was coming. No racing to fields or someone else setting upon you. Pheasants and deer are alot tougher to get on.

- - - Updated - - -

Charging more for birds than elk is Ludacris

When was the last time you tried to get on land in the east part of the state during the main migration? There are times when the same land owner might get asked 10 times when his field is full of mallards. If we lifted the cap on non residents it would be all over for us.

The Pierre license deal is all for private land, and guess what you will have to pay to hunt any private land in the Pierre area so you know why the state did that "guides"!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep grew up in watertown......lots of places to hunt other than there but i never had a problem as a kid killing lots and lots of ducks lots of public land. I have hunted pierre alot but with friends who guide when there is an open day i get an invite. really i have no problem at all with caps it is a good deal really it was the wanting to charge and exorbitant fee that i dont like. I like hunting out of state and if others are coming here and following all the laws i hope they have a great time like i do in their state for a fair price

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
zoops your are correct you will never please everyone. I think the majority of us agree we wish it was open later. under the federal frameworks you just can not add days to the season. I for one would be willing to give up another week of early season in the river zone for an added week late season. or trips idea of moving it back an entire. week. somethings gotta give if it changes though.

if the river zone guys got a consenus going I bet if enough voices are heard from the river guys you might be able to see some changes being made. most likely would be cutting the early season 7 days shorter and adding it to the end of the late season.

august days do not count against the federal framework so the august season is fine but when the calendar hits sept those days start counting.

I haven't looked in sometime and don't feel like it now but what do we have left we can move? Seems to be if memory serves we still have one week left we can move after we moved the last week of early a few years ago. I definitely don't see many river guys bitching I almost never see anyone hunting anywhere along the river after the first week or so.

Over all moving the opening week sounds great if your one of the late season guys but we have to remember there are probably 4 non late season hunters to everyone of us and I for one like getting on hunts where this is the setup and the end result instead of just another pothole or field.

IMG_20150926_092056385_HDR.jpg

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member

Interesting, I've never heard that ND had a cap other than that 30k one they had for a few years in the early 2000s. I've only been old enough to hunt since the mid-90s though. I know I've seen historical license numbers printed before but did a little searching and couldn't find them.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I'm fairly certain ND never had a cap lower than 30k, but I wasn't around in the 70s or 80s so there's a chance I'm wrong. If I remember correctly the trend over the last 40-50 years is that resident waterfowl hunter numbers have declined significantly while NR have increased significantly, so the number of total licenses sold now is similar to what it was in the 70s. But that brings in the discussion that hunter (and bird) habits and equipment, etc. have changed a lot since then as well and put more pressure on the resource.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will adapt if changing the season dates changes one way or another. Just know though, wood ducks are generally mostly gone by the third weekend as it is now. We’d be cutting a week off of that. Also, the bonus blue wing teal deal wouldn’t be much of a thing anymore either cuz they push out fast too.

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just saw that you can hunt honks until Feb 18th in sd

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
dean nelson;184201[COLOR=#000000 said:
][/COLOR]I haven't looked in sometime and don't feel like it now but what do we have left we can move? Seems to be if memory serves we still have one week left we can move after we moved the last week of early a few years ago. I definitely don't see many river guys bitching I almost never see anyone hunting anywhere along the river after the first week or so.

Over all moving the opening week sounds great if your one of the late season guys but we have to remember there are probably 4 non late season hunters to everyone of us and I for one like getting on hunts where this is the setup and the end result instead of just another pothole or field.

FB_IMG_1536685148274.jpg
correct as of now early river zone closes the 7th of sept so we have 7 days to play with. there certainly is feeds in river zone that could be hunted early but hunter participation ( which of course is what GF is after )would be much better served adding it late.

- - - Updated - - -

here is a list of shit to do in the river zone those 7 days in sept as opposed to chasing a flock of 150 honkers that cause little to no depredation on the river farmers/ranchers.
1) walleye fishing
2) salmon fishing
3) morning doves
4) archery hunt deer

please feel free to add to this said list

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
When it comes to early season river birds I'm seriously going to set up my decoy spread some day and then sit just down wind like I'm a damn Shore fisherman not trying to hide at all. The birds are insanely good at spotting blinds out of those sand bars and Hunters laying there but they don't ever seem to give two shits about fishermen. Plus it probably be a kick in the pants to sit out there in the damn lawn chair with a fishing rod and a shotgun wearing a pair of shorts and some sandals checking out all the soon to disappear bikini girls that will be floating Up and Down the River most likely.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wish they would do a Dec 10 run some year just to see how many that there really is at peak.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 182
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57