How to pinpoint the "X"?

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
bigv, the good old way is when your having fun, sounds like you hunt the way we use to, and let me tell you we had fun, and we learned everything on our own, it was all trial and error.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
bigv, the good old way is when your having fun, sounds like you hunt the way we use to, and let me tell you we had fun, and we learned everything on our own, it was all trial and error.

Now days you need way points and dropping pins.

When I started hunting geese 49 yrs ago this fall the geese were landing and feeding into the wind just like now. The geese havent changed there feeding habits or there flying.

Just go out in the field close to where they were the night before and you will shoot geese.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I started 50 yrs ago, it takes awhile to figure geese out, but setting decoys, it all starts with the wind

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started 50 yrs ago, it takes awhile to figure geese out, but setting decoys, it all starts with the wind

im really confused by that statement if that is the case in dec with a north wind your saying every bird on lake sak feeds on the north side? and with a south wind every bird roosting on lake sak feeds on the south side...yah not true

- - - Updated - - -

I started 50 yrs ago, it takes awhile to figure geese out, but setting decoys, it all starts with the wind.

I couldnt agree more with you.

CutEm

im really confused by that statement if that is the case in dec with a north wind your saying every bird on lake sak feeds on the north side? and with a south wind every bird roosting on lake sak feeds on the south side...yah not true

- - - Updated - - -

I started 50 yrs ago, it takes awhile to figure geese out, but setting decoys, it all starts with the wind.

I couldnt agree more with you.

The anti-technology age coming through strong here. Yes anyone can look and remember where the birds are but there are ways which make it much easier. Also guys are traveling a lot more into new areas. If you are not familiar with the area its easy to get turned around in the dark. I bet 50 years ago you were hunting your own ground or your neighbors and knew the exact location of every rock. Its a little different. There are more people hunting waterfowl now than ever. Unless your hunting in inclement weather the details can mean the difference between a good and bad day. Why not use what is available to increase your odds?

On another note, that kinda goes with old school mentality. I have this theory. Years ago magnum shells were the ticket for goose hunting. The goose decoy companies always are pushing the you need more realistic decoys because geese are getting more and more decoy shy. Well the generation of birds we have now for the most part have never seen a magnum shell. I think if a guy went back to them they could lay the smack down.

carry on

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunted Canada for many yrs and never hunted the same field twice. And them are big fields. Many field were full sections so a mile sq. I never had a problem finding where to go. Now were maybe talking 40,000 plus birds in that field.

And yes I remember the 1 7/8 oz lead 2 and BB and mix some 4Buck in there. The good old day

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunted Canada for many yrs and never hunted the same field twice. And them are big fields. Many field were full sections so a mile sq. I never had a problem finding where to go. Now were maybe talking 40,000 plus birds in that field.

And yes I remember the 1 7/8 oz lead 2 and BB and mix some 4Buck in there. The good old day
I'm going back to that ammo, steel sucks

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have nothing against the Technology you guy use, even my kid that traps coyotes uses this Tech. it's kind of neat to see all the flags he has on this phone, he can walk right up to the trap that's covered with snow. But you should know old school tech., your phones might shit the bed the night before your hunt and then your screwed

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been fortunate enough to have a pretty good compass in my head, especially if I can scout or walk a spot beforehand.

Wide open fields in the dark with no land marks or anything still kind of trip me up though. I think I'll start driving or walking out in the fields after the geese leave and either mark it on the telephone or put a small flag out.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I take mental notes of locations from access points like X number of telephone poles from approach then X number of yards out from poles on a swale/sidehill/knoll/etc. Then I translate the yardage into 1/10ths of a mile, hit the trip mileage reset button on the truck when I get to the right pole and lastly look for sign when I get close to the X. I try NOT to stop the truck when I scout. I've bumped birds off the field by stopping before, so I now just drive by at normal speeds a couple times and head off to find more fields.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Once I have been to a hunting spot I can always find it again no problem. If a nurse leads me around the inside of these new hospitals I better have some bread crumbs to find my way back out or I am screwed.

Last edited:

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
What Zoop says! Hang around until you know no one else is eyeing the field and once the birds head to the roost, drive out there and mark a waypoint.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a field on Friday night right before dark that had 3 other pickups driving around the area. Did the drive by and hit the waypoint doing 60 and was able to put us on the x within 15 yards later that night.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a field on Friday night right before dark that had 3 other pickups driving around the area. Did the drive by and hit the waypoint doing 60 and was able to put us on the x within 15 yards later that night.
did you shoot any then?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I can't get close I try and stop at two or three spots along the field the further apart the better. Then I will GPS that spot and note a certain land mark past the geese but dead in line with them. Then you just play connect the dots from the points you marked on your GPS and the distant object. once you make two or three lines the point at which they cross on the map is the dead on location of where the flock is sitting. Basically it's the same way a GPS triangulates your location just a little bit more rudimentary but it gets the job done and it's extremely accurate.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
We never had a problem finding the field we wanted to hunt the next morning, but locating where geese were feeding required us searching for feathers and droppings. Always worked well for us.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have to watch them fly to water. Then sneak out there in the morning well before light. You can usually hear quacks or honks in the dark. You have to get as close as possible to the sleeping birds. That is the X. Then right when the clock strikes shooting time you unleash the pain.

It takes awhile to kill/retrieve all the cripples but you are usually in the cafe before 7 am this way.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88