Roost Buster - The Non Resident Way

TippinWingz

Well Devils Lake had the rodeo in town one weekend and then the next weekend the circus showed up and boy let me tell you the blue plates were really shinning. There isn't a weekend of the year I hate more than non-res opener. The amount of duck boats and idiots clogging up gravel roads for farmers and locals is out of hand. Initial I was going to do a big rant post about how much of a pain in the ass these out of staters can be, but I think I will just give some friendly info for hunting ducks in ND.

First of all... leave them damn boats at home. The only reason to bring a boat to DL is to go catch some walleyes! YOU DO NOT NEED to hunt water to kill ducks. This is different from your "hunting" back home. This big water stuff has got to stop, unless you're shooting blue bills on the big lake. I'm not sure if its because people don't realize what they are doing when they hunt big water or if they just don't care that they screwed up the weekend/week for another group of hunters. I had one guy tell me (after I told him he busted a roost and messed up the hunt for other people) that he didn't care, hes only here for 3 days. People just need to put some work in to actually hunt the birds the right way around here so it isn't one morning of chasing and blasting ducks around the roost. If you leave the birds alone on the water where they are comfy, you can shoot them for many days in the surrounding fields. If water hunting is the only thing you know, the only gear you have, and the way you want to hunt, thats fine! Just stay off the big water roosts. Look at a map, find these big water roost, and get in a transition slough between them and I promise you will get some quality shooting.

Put on some miles and talk to landowners. Come a few days earlier than you usually do and put in some work. A lot of guys around here just want to know who is out there. Please don't use the excuse "everything is posted" or "all the guides have everything leased" because that just isn't true. Go to the county office and for $40 you can buy a map that shows who owns every field, their farmstead, phone numbers... all the info you need to ask for permission. This does mean getting more than 15 miles away from DL, Cando, Lakota... Drive and put in the work.

I am not going to sit here and tell you that every person from out of state is a POS, because I also know that that is far from the truth, but its the 80% of the idiots that don't care, don't follow all the laws, and do shady things that make every non-res lumped into one category and that's a tough hole to dig out of, but I promise you that if you are respectful and nice to landowners they will typically show it in return (wouldnt hurt your case to show up with some beer, cheese curds or jerky/sausage). Heck, who knows... maybe you and this landowner hit it off. Maybe you treated his land with respect and didn't do the stupid stuff that they see every other non-res do. And just MAYBE he would be ok with you coming the same week every year and hunting his stuff because he knows who you are and knows you will treat his land and property with respect.

This is just a message from a local guy that is just getting tired of the boat parade coming to town every weekend. Tired of watching my roost get busted at shooting time and listen to them take 6 shots all morning and mess up our hunt. Tired of having to talk to farmers about how frustrated they are with these people.

If you don't care what I have to say, that is what it is. If you do take anything out of this post (you know who you are) please read and listen to this. GET OFF THE ROAD! The shoulder of a road or just pulling off IS NOT a good spot to leave a truck and boat trailer. This is harvest time! GET OUT OF THE WAY! Combines with 40 ft headers take up a lot of space on the road and over the edge of roads. They can't just turn around or go around you. Find a field crossing of a harvested field and park there. Just please get out of the way. A lot of my friends are farmers and they dont have time to sit there and wait for you to come strolling out of the reeds to come move your truck and watch you struggle to back it down a road until you find somewhere to pull off.

-TippinWingz

Attachments

roostbuster.jpg

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't tell me how to hunt and I won't tell you how to. Deal?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
You come around some areas with a decoy trailer boasting Roost Busting and that's a green light for certain locals to bust out the valve stem removal tool...

TippinWingz

I'm glad it wasn't me that took that picture. A buddy of mine sent me that picture during the blue plate parade heading this way... Woulda had some choice words for the dude pulling that ugly thing

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would using a layout blind on a pontoon be a bad deal in the middle of devils lake?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You are correct about hunting the roost. I like to hunt water but it is never the roost. Always shallow enough to wade and never very big. I've seen locals hunt the roost as well but it is generally a non-resident with a boat.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to confess that I'd much prefer to hunt water over fields. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like both. But there is a certain satisfaction from the "bang ... ker-SPLOOSH" of a fowl hitting water that you just don't get from the "bang ... thump" of a field.

Plus it's WAY more fun watching dog work in water.

A little back shallow bay of some big water, or shallow ponds in the middle of a field, are my favorite go-tos for the one-gun, two-dog weekend warrior.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are correct, but it will only get worse. As more and more land gets leased by hunters and outfitters, guess what? More and more hunters will bring boats to hunt the water as access to prime land becomes next to impossible. I certainly don't advocate for it because like you, we were taught by our dads to NEVER EVER hunt the roost (water). Hunt the fields and the ducks won't leave. Hunt their home and they're gone. The other thing that's made the opener even worse is this is a never ending cycle. As a resident who's lived here most all his life this is the cycle I've seen. As more land got leased, more people hunted the water. As more hunted the water, the sooner the local bred birds got blasted out of here. As more of the birds got blown out earlier, more later hunters started becoming earlier hunters. And unfortunately, I don't see this trend changing.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
hunting ducks over water is one of the funnest ways to hunt em. and there is nothing wrong with it. it's been done for as long as ducks have been hunted. I would guess long before anybody ever shot em in the field. To each his own. Hunt how you want to . Now screwing up hunts for other people is a legit subject. And stupid shit pulled by wherever they are from is fair game too.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tend to agree with the OP for the most part. But, you are crazy if you think there is enough field access with actual fowl on it to accommodate 25% of the hunters. That's generous. Probably 10%. I am local with decent access. Haven't hunted water in 10 years for the most part. But, i gotta be honest... when you spend 20 hours over 5 evenings driving 500 miles without finding a field you can hunt, the idea of a nice comfy duck boat to put the smack down on a handful of the 20,000 ducks you see leave pelican, 6 mile, mikes, Alice, dry, round, twin, the flats, etc... every morning sure sounds enticing.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man i miss those days, but man i dont miss my twilight days at the end where it was just complete frustration at the end..We thought we could control it (getting permission, scouting days in advance, getting up at 4am, etc etc). In the end everyone and everything has a boiling point and if its reached too many times in a given amount of time it's time to make a decision and as hardcore as the waterfowl world is; i decided it truly is a younger generation game and i truly took advantage of it (10-27).
For those that dont agree or see where im coming from, the frustrations compared to controlling your own fate for the most part while walleye fishing until freeze-up, coyote calling, dove hunting, pheasant hunting, bow hunting is pretty incomparable.. Sure you're guna run into some shit along the way tis is life, but its an anthill compared to the mountain of it in the waterfowl world these days!
Although i truly miss the flocks of honks and mallards coming in with locked wings from 200 yards out, ill take tricking a hungry coyote coming into the call or a piggy eyeball on the end of a jiggin rap late season over the stress the OP speaks of, been there done with that..

Happy fall tho nonetheless! (Its the best time of the year and with the vegas shit and tom petty passing its been a long long monday, but its also been a day to reflect on the opportunites we do have in this great state, stress or no stress we have nothing to bitch about compared to those affected last night by the cause of some absolute POS scum of the earth.)

signed,
pissed off american

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can certainly understand the OP's frustration, as I have experienced the worst of what the waterfowl world has to offer on more than one occasion. However, if killing birds is the only thing that makes a hunt a success, what a hollow experience that would be. I've seen my share of asshats and douce nozzles while hunting, but I REFUSE to let them keep me from the goose fields. I just think about the fact that these guys are the way they are 24/7 and what a life THAT must be. Yikes!! Has my roost of birds been busted up as I lay in my blind and listen.....Sure. However, no amount of gunfire can keep the sun from rising or keep away the wonder of being part of the world as it comes alive for another day. Nope!! Besides, even the greatest asshat on the planet can't keep all the birds away from my spread. They NEVER have. Well, I'm off to the goose field today. Hope nobody beat me to the "X". Have a great day Fellas!!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I can certainly understand the OP's frustration, as I have experienced the worst of what the waterfowl world has to offer on more than one occasion. However, if killing birds is the only thing that makes a hunt a success, what a hollow experience that would be. I've seen my share of asshats and douce nozzles while hunting, but I REFUSE to let them keep me from the goose fields. I just think about the fact that these guys are the way they are 24/7 and what a life THAT must be. Yikes!! Has my roost of birds been busted up as I lay in my blind and listen.....Sure. However, no amount of gunfire can keep the sun from rising or keep away the wonder of being part of the world as it comes alive for another day. Nope!! Besides, even the greatest asshat on the planet can't keep all the birds away from my spread. They NEVER have. Well, I'm off to the goose field today. Hope nobody beat me to the "X". Have a great day Fellas!!

Well said, and good luck!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 196
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93