Hummingbird 859ci HD DI KVD

joker58103

for humminbird this video explains a lot

tips 'n tricks 114

- - - Updated - - -

ps... i hate the guys voice but he explains a lot

Thanks for the link, it was very helpful - he actually has a few videos that will be educational for a newbie like me...It's too bad that the map data can't be shared between units, only way points. A person could break the bank if they wanted lakemaster cards viewable in both the front and back units combined with fishing both ND and Minnesota...

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as the sheels match they matched the price on the auto chart pro chip that they sell for $250 down to $160 from a store on the east coast with a Web site and scheels in bismarck doesn't even stock it in house. So not sure how far they they will go but they are pretty good at matching.

As for the OP not positive but I think they are phasing that line out. They had some of the bigger models on huge discount a few months back but they are all pretty well gone now. I looked at them but with the way they looked like they were headed I went helix instead started with the 7 but upgraded to the 9 and it was well worth it.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished beside my son last year. I had my Garmin he had his new Lowrance. My GPS/map was far more accurate

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spent about 5 hours out with my Garmin the other day. I am very impressed with how easy it is to use. Changing settings and navigating around the menu is super simple. I did some auto charting also and it even was able to update that going full speed. The installed map is about what I expected for Sakawea. Not sure what elevation it was taken at but is a little off. Since I am able to auto map it's not a big deal as I will have my own contours soon enough. I am very impressed with the side and down imaging. So far I have to say I am very happy I made the swirch.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
that's the thing people forget, the contours on Sak will only be accurate if the lake is at the level it was when they mapped the contours. Doesn't matter what brand you have.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahhhhh sure it does. That's why humnnbird bird and Navionics have water level offset. For instance when I was ice fishing Oahe I took 10 feet off the cart level to make it accurate. As for mapping speed you can go fast when doing it but the faster you go the less accurate it gets. Remember it's a giant game of connect the dots and if your dots are 50 feet apart rather then 5 your going to miss some shit! I personally would never map any area I'm interested in faster the 6 mph or so. Some of the real crazy break lines i do at closer to one just to make sure it got everything exactly right.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you you don't do ipilot link, you won't need that video.
If you get a Helix 9Di by your steering wheel...you can hook the two together through a simple ethernet cord and two ethernet dongles. That'll share sonar/down imaging, won't share lakemaster chip.
Cant be a helix 5 or 7 if I remember right, as those are not ethernet compatible

Thanks for the heads up - I have learned so much lately on how all this stuff works, mostly from guys like you on the forums...I sounds like to do what I want I need to network into a console unit? It all starts to get expensive fast. I might have to skip the dreams of I-pilot for now.

I used to consider myself sort of a techie...now I know how my grandparents felt trying to use a VCR!

I wish Hummingbird put out a fish finder for dummies guide...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 68
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 27