• Propane

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • Electric

Votes: 121 50.4%

• Total voters

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
No zerk, guess I will start disassembly from the bottom, I assume a slip clutch is in the upper.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im in the market for a new auger. And this thread has my head spinning on what to get. I did use a new Eskimo mako43 last year and loved it. Question is, for the electric guys are you running 8" bits and if so does it noticeably drain batteries faster than 6"? Man i really would hate to go less than 8. I run a 10" now on my old Strikemaster

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have made the jump to electric this week. Over the past 2 winters I have tried the Strikemaster, Ion and KDrill. All were good. In the end I went back to my roots and decided to try the Jiffy E6 the one I have not tried. I have always liked the Jiffy blades. They say the new batteries will cut more ice than the others. In the end the deal at Scheels Ice Fest was the tipping point to the purchase. I should know how it is in a week or so. I guess this makes me a first mover.

SHEDZ

K-Drill with a dewalt drill and 60 volt battery. Drill all day long if you want.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im in the market for a new auger. And this thread has my head spinning on what to get. I did use a new Eskimo mako43 last year and loved it. Question is, for the electric guys are you running 8" bits and if so does it noticeably drain batteries faster than 6"? Man i really would hate to go less than 8. I run a 10" now on my old Strikemaster

I’m running an 8” Kdrill. Drills and batteries will only get better in the future. Go with an 8” and don’t look back. For gas, This will be my second season on the Eskimo shark 8” and I have no complaints so far.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I have made the jump to electric this week. Over the past 2 winters I have tried the Strikemaster, Ion and KDrill. All were good. In the end I went back to my roots and decided to try the Jiffy E6 the one I have not tried. I have always liked the Jiffy blades. They say the new batteries will cut more ice than the others. In the end the deal at Scheels Ice Fest was the tipping point to the purchase. I should know how it is in a week or so. I guess this makes me a first mover.

I'd be interested in hearing your review of it.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Punched around 50 holes with my Ice Gator and Nils bit today. It makes short work of 6-8 inches of ice.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I punched a few with a clam plate/DeWalt drill/Eskimoauger bit/8"

Great setup imo. It chews through the ice.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Shootn...I picked up the new Strikemaster Lithium 40V...8 inch. Only used twice but so far so good. I don't typically cut more than 15-20 holes in a day, but I'm curious to see how it holds up when cutting 30+ inches later this winter. Good luck with your auger search!

WannaBFishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up an Eskimo Z71 with 10" bit two years ago and put the 8" k-drill on last winter, It's an ice eating machine. Had the Jiffy Pro 4 before this and was the biggest POS i have ever owned as the blades didn't last and the carb need replacing after two years along with having to lay a certain direction so the oil wouldn't drain out. If anyone wants a deal on a Pro 4 let me know.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What are the options for 10" electric? Eskimo flight and drill plate?

I know, it'll drain batteries faster, but for drilling holes in a wheelhouse it would be nice.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are the options for 10" electric? Eskimo flight and drill plate?

I know, it'll drain batteries faster, but for drilling holes in a wheelhouse it would be nice.

You will never spin a 10” with a drill on the market today. Tens need ALOT of torque and slower speeds than a drill set on low. You would probably smoke even an M18 Fuel in short order.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'm seriously considering the E6. I'm only hesitant because its brand new. My backup plan is the Strikemaster 40v. Let us know how it performs

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a 40v Strikemast this weekend at Ice Fest. Strikemaster is done with production this year so whatever is out there now is all they will have in stock the rest of the year. My friend bought one last year and it cuts wonderfully. Only knock on it is that with dirty ice (shallow ND sloughs) the blades wear out quickly. Won't be testing mine out for a few more weeks yet

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm seriously considering the E6. I'm only hesitant because its brand new. My backup plan is the Strikemaster 40v. Let us know how it performs

The Strikemaster 40V Lithium 10" is designed specifically to turn that size bit(lower speed with lots of torque). I have one with a 10" Nils bit and it cuts like a dream. I never tried it with the standard Mora type bit. My Ice Gator 40V spins way too fast without enough torque to spin the 10" Nils. It will cut, but heats up pretty fast with that much drag. The Ice Gator works perfect with an 8" Nils bit. Nils cut smoother with less "grabbing" on the bottom of the hole than Mora/Lazer bits. They are similar in speed, though. Hope that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

I just looked at the Jiffy E6 and the 6-9" models recommend 15:1 gear ratio powerhead. The 10" model recommends 24:1 gear ratio. Which means they have one powerhead specifically geared down for the extra drag of the 10" bit.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i want to change my vote... my propane hc40 took a shit last week (i mean i wouldn't have to change the oil ever again, just carry a case with me) and I picked up a strikemaster 40v... I mean waiting to warm up the electric motor is a little slow, it's heavy.... ok im lying it's amazing you just go out and pop holes like it's nothing and it feels like it's 1/2 the weight of my hc40... i got the 8" because it looks like i can make an adapter to put the 10" from my eskimo on it for when i am in a wheel house... I'll be getting the hc40 repaired but it'll be my super thick ice/back up auger and it really didn't like the super cold days

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88