insulated or non insulated?

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for a elk hunting boot but also a pheasant hunting boot. Should I go with a 400 gram insulated or non insulated? What do you all prefer?

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
You hunting in November or September for elk? What's your price point?

I have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 and they are awesome.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have hunted all the way through deer season in uninsulated boots. I buy them a 1/2 size bigger an can put on thicker socks. This only works if you are moving around. I don't see the point in the extra weight. If doing a lot of sitting I wear insulated.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Explain how your elk hunt will go.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
You hunting in November or September for elk? What's your price point?

I have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 and they are awesome.

I will be hunting in October.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where and in what state are you planning to hunt in?
Idaho, Selway zone. It will be between 4000-7000 feet. I’m leaving October 19 coming home the 29.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind that insulation works BOTH ways. It will keep your feet warmer in cold weather and cooler in hot weather. I wore insulated combat boots in Afghanistan with temps from 43 to 137. I liked the extra padding and ankle support I got from the insulated boots over the non and REALLY enjoyed the extra protection over my ankles in the rocky, mountainous terrain we trudged through on a regular basis. Saved me quite a few banged up ankle bones. Good Luck!! Hope you shoot a biggun!!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a non-insulated kind of guy down to about 25 degrees.

For the life of me I cannot understand wearing insulated boots when it's warmer than 40 degrees.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind that insulation works BOTH ways. It will keep your feet warmer in cold weather and cooler in hot weather. I wore insulated combat boots in Afghanistan with temps from 43 to 137. I liked the extra padding and ankle support I got from the insulated boots over the non and REALLY enjoyed the extra protection over my ankles in the rocky, mountainous terrain we trudged through on a regular basis. Saved me quite a few banged up ankle bones. Good Luck!! Hope you shoot a biggun!!

We clearly have feet cut from a different cloth. I loved my non-insulated and vented jungle boots when in the Corps, and for the first 20 years out of it! Now I can afford much higher dollar, and only slightly better civilian attire.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
boots are like women we all have our preference.... I like non insulated and stiff

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have my buddies many times in the early season take there boots of as fast as they can. Especially at the end of the day but even during the midday for lunch. They complain how hot there feet are. I have tried insulated but for this reason is why I use uninsulated.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually go back and forth between insulated and non-insulated. Whichever you choose, just make sure they are waterproof. Weather can turn very quickly in the mountains. I've been out there with non-insulated boots in 40 degree temps only to see single digit temps and several inches of snow the next day. Boots never did dry out.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, I always take at least two pairs. One stays in the truck just in case.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gone from 400g to 200g to non-insulated and have yet to be cold. I almost wish i had an even lighter pair yet for early season bow in the badlands. Everybody's feet are different so only you can make the call, what have you had in the past and have your feet ever been cold?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wear 400 gram for summer checking cams, elk hunting in 100 degree September and also -10 degree late November muley hunting.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Totally agree with KDM. The little extra insulation is going keep your feet more comfortable warm or cold. I wear Pronghorn 400 from the 1st day of season until last day of cleaning guns.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Socks are just as important. Mountaineers have been way in front of hunters for a long time we are just catching up

- - - Updated - - -

Sweat is your enemy. I will change socks half way through a day .with how active you are out west you want to be cold on the way in or starting.bring a good system and you will be comfortable sitting glassing. I packed way to much shit the first time cut it half the second time and now half again for this year. No more what ifs

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Socks are just as important. Mountaineers have been way in front of hunters for a long time we are just catching up

- - - Updated - - -

Sweat is your enemy. I will change socks half way through a day .with how active you are out west you want to be cold on the way in or starting.bring a good system and you will be comfortable sitting glassing. I packed way to much shit the first time cut it half the second time and now half again for this year. No more what ifs

ALWAYS pack extra socks is a mantra on a big hunt. Lorpen makes a great padded sock, BTW.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 74
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31