Insurance premiums on the rise

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
That brings up a couple more items , most everyone should have an umbrella policy its cheap , and you should have high limits of liability insurance , ask your agent for prices , its amazing how much more coverage you can get without breaking the bank

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question, Does auto liability pay any court costs if you have a civil case from an auto accident ?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i honestly am not sure if individuals can do it in ND. but, i am fairly certain they can. many businesses do it. and the required minimums in ND are pretty low. so, i assume you just have to show "proof of financial responsibility" in an amount equal to those minimums. like a bond.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cheaper Insurance isn't always a good thing. Need to dig into the actual payouts per company. Some people do total battle to get their claims covered.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to do it that way for business and it saves a lot of money. Easy to set up, fill out a form and put money into a savings account with BND and gain interest rather than paying someone a commission to use their money. I wouldn't do it for personal , I'm getting too old to work myself out of a gamble that could backfire.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
i had american family years ago and had a big hail storm roof and siding. as i was picking up stuff after completing another hailstorm American family canceled my policy. agent could do nothing as it was corporate. i insure 3 houses and 6 vehicle's.
SCUM

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i had american family years ago and had a big hail storm roof and siding. as i was picking up stuff after completing another hailstorm American family canceled my policy. agent could do nothing as it was corporate. i insure 3 houses and 6 vehicle's.
They didn't even give you a notice..just one day called and said your canceled?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
We go through Western insurance agency( an insurance booker) They search out the cheapest insurance for us. Currently have 2 vehicles, boat, camper and house with Auto Owners.

Also have a couple friends, that are with independent insurance companies, that keep asking if they can insure us, they can't even get close to the same coverage and cost compared to Auto Owner.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
In Minot right ? I didn't know they did residential insurance. I had business insurance through them and they served me well. Going to give them a call .

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Insurance premiums in 2024 will increase by about $715 from 2023 for us. Small house, paid off vehicles. A 40% increase in auto premiums no claims, no accidents and additional drivers no additional or changed vehicles. Boat insurance actually went down $1 a month and umbrella coverage is the same i beleive. We insure through American Family. Is it worth looking around? and where is the best option?

Car insurance - 3 older payed off vehicles never been in an accident or had a claim, 1 with full coverage.

period 3/1/2023 - 9/1/2023
- $458

period 3/1/2024 - 9/1/2024
- $642

40% increase in 1 year.

Homeowners

period 3/1/2023 - 3/1/2024
- $1500

period 3/1/2024 - 3/1/2025
- $1850

23% increase in 1 year.
Absolutely shop,I found a insurance broker who did the leg work,by changing companies 3 times he saved me $1000's, my company last 3 years jacked my home owners from $ 1500 to $2250 annually

New company $1500 with same $500 deductible. Ill cross vehicle ins next summer.

I live in "tornado ally" two tornado claims in 20 yrs.Farmers and American family were the worst and most expensive insurance companies my neighbors told me to work with.

So,i sugest shopping, let a broker do leg work he's hungry too

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
we got notice that our auto insurance was going from about $1100/6 months up to $2300/6 months... no new tickets, never an accident where we were at fault, nothing to warrant a rate hike. Insuring a 2014 ram 2500 diesel, a 2022 charger r/t, a 2011 jeep all full coverage and my 86 gmc 1/2 ton just liability. Had our agent shop around for us and she was able to get it down to $1900... decided to quote it myself through progressive.... got it down to $979/6 months....

When I asked our agent why the dramatic rate hike her response was "well the wildfires in Hawaii are really driving insurance rates up".... really?! Insurance is a fucking scam.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddy has a brother who is an ins. agent. He said they dropped his home owners ins. for no reason. He owns a plumbing company and has a fleet of company trucks. So he pulled all of them and found a new company. His own brother had no say in it.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
:unsure: Are you Jake from State Farm? 😎..... telling people to not buy from Nationwide.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My buddy has a brother who is an ins. agent. He said they dropped his home owners ins. for no reason. He owns a plumbing company and has a fleet of company trucks. So he pulled all of them and found a new company. His own brother had no say in it.
From what I have seen the insurance agents are just there..they really aren't in control of anything other then selling the policy and talking to people behind the scenes to explain things to the policy holder..they have no say and no pull...I could see a day when they are completely gone....Basically all handled by internet purchase and customer service call centers.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Definitely shop around, but I have also heard that premiums will be increasing significantly nationally. Suppose it makes sense with the cost of everything else. I switched from State Farm to American Family last year, saved over $800/year on homeowners and ~150 per vehicle.
Interesting.
We just switched from American Family to State Farm.
For 2 vehicles, homeowners and liability umbrella - we saved just under $1600 per year.
"Identical" coverages.
American family - the auto insurance was creeping up over 7% every 6 months -- same vehicles, no claims other than a deer hit.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
For all the insurance is a scam and self Insure folks. Remember the only reason you are forced to have insurance for the most part is because you have a loan on it and the bank needs to protect their interest. Pay your shit off and you can essentially do what you want other than really cheap liability insurance.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88