K-Drill auger hole diameter?

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Went out ice fishing this past weekend after drilling a few holes with my K-Drill i noticed the 8" auger i purchased was actual 7 1/2 on the OD of the blade. Have two ice hole cleaners one is the standard metal scoop the other is a 8" One Shoot Cleaner that works on my Eskimo Mako 8" auger but not on the 8" K-Drill. Has anyone else noticed the diameter of the auger? Just a heads up if you purchase a one shot hole cleaner need to go with a 6'' hole cleaner. Also makes me wonder if the K-Drill 6" auger is undersized ?

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking that the holes the IDO guys use were small when I was watching the episode this morning and I think they use K-Drills, or maybe those perch were just that huge

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I knew they were 7 1/2 OD but not sure if I read it somewhere or someone told me

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an 8 inch slush inhaler and it fits in my 8 inch K drill holes. So, I suspect it's a full 8 inches. Might be wrong.i tend to overestimate length.

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the 6" kdrill.

I have a metal 6" metal folding slush strainer.
It DOES NOT fit in the cut hole.

The O.D. is less than 6".

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Went on K-Drill web they said the 8" is actually 71/2 and then read the 6" is a true 6" auger. Did not have this on their specs but was mentioned in the questions to K-Drill portion. Looks like the 8"and 6" are both undersized on the OD. Has anyone tried to reopen their hole the next day? Drilled on Friday than tried to reopen the next morning on Saturday unsuccessful.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
www.amazon.com/PRODUCTIVE-ALTERNATI-Slush-Inhaler-8/dp/B000ML02PU

i have this. it fits in my 8 inch k-drill hole. entirely possible the above product is smaller than 8 inches though. will take a tape after the thing today if i stop by the ice house. also, i re-drill my holes quite often with the k-drill. couple of time/week in fact. not sure what is meant by that statement.

Last edited:

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Must have been doing something wrong when i tried to reopen the hole i drilled the day before it bond up half way through the hole. I know it can reopen holes my brother does it all the time. Did not have the patience to retry. Sure glad i had the clam plate a lot of torque when it stuck. Tried my sons Strike Master 40v lithium was nice but what a difference in weight and cost of replacement battery not for me. K-Drill was one of my better investments. Looked at the slush inhaler awhile back if i had a permanent ice house i would go that route, as for the one shoot hole cleaner, thinking of making a 7 1/2 inch one at our shop.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trick with the K-drill. Once you get the hole drilled, kick away the chips around the hole, then once down and up with the drill to pull slush out then reverse the drill and push the rest under the ice. Should have very little slush left in the hole afterward.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
So is the 7-1/2" thing just a k-drill thing or is that standard. Just like buying 2x4s at the lumber store. Wtf is wrong with just making shit actually what you say it is. Stupid.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
k drills are pretty slick but I wonder how many drills they have burnt out I know my Milwaukie starts smelling hot after 2 holes,

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
k drills are pretty slick but I wonder how many drills they have burnt out I know my Milwaukie starts smelling hot after 2 holes,

First one I had blew the chuck after 30 holes. Took back under warrenty. Second one has lasted over two years probably 300-400 holes no problems yet

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i will say that we ain't getting much more than 10-12 holes on one battery now that i have to use the extension on mine.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
i will say that we ain't getting much more than 10-12 holes on one battery now that i have to use the extension on mine.

Get yourself one of them 9 ah flexvolt batteries that come with a DeWalt chainsaw. They’re heavy as hell but u can drill a hell of a lot of holes with one.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
It's just the K-drill. I bought one last winter, had it out once, drilled 2 holes, and returned it. I just couldn't handle that 7.5" hole. My eskimo is a true 8", the strikemaster chipper bit is actually 8.25". I believe the Jiffy is a true 8" also.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah slow week for new news. I still like mine even though it’s a bit small. :cool:

Still talking about auger diameter here.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just ream the hole out a little, or just get a smaller scoop

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 27