Electric Ice Auger Recommendations

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried one of these on Ion. Didn't do anything, had to pack up and go home because used previous set of blades the day before. Same thing in dirty ice. My blade sharpener guy asked what the hell happened to that set of blades.
Same - didn’t work on my SM lazrmag back in the day. Disappointing.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ended up doing what I didn't want to do initially. Bought an Eskimo Pistol bit and am running it on my Dewalt drill. No plate so far but with the amount of ice we have the handle is OK so far. I was really going to go with the SM 24v but I just wasn't happy with the reviews I saw. I also got the Eskimo adapter to put it on my gas powerhead if I am dealing with thicker I or I want to get excessive with holes. Thanks for all the recommendations.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Milwaukee drill, Clam plate, Ion extension, Eskimo hand auger 8". Been using this since 2016. Use it in Winnipeg as well for the past 5 years. No issues....done!!!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you dont use a SM 40v, you voted for biden.
Lol, I figured the Trump guys would be running 3hp Jiffy’s while the Biden guys would be running the SM40’s (and driving Teslas to the lake)!

Nothing like the sound of one of those Jiffy’s in the morning. I fished two full days last weekend and heard one gas auger. How things have changed!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saga continues. Dewalt DC999 broke second trip. Returned it. Put the pistol bit on my gas auger. And picked up a SM 24V new for $250. Happy with the SM so far. Dewalt clutch breaking was a fluke but I didn’t like it too much. Great deals out there end of season on all augers!

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's crazy. After all the holes I've drilled with my DeWalt the last 4 years I can't imagine what transpired to fry the clutch in two outings. I overheated one drilling all the holes in the house through 3 ft of ice without stopping, but no clutch issues. Hope the strikemaster does better for you!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Milwaukee with clam plate and k drill and extension works for me. Then again, i did stay in a holiday inn express last nite.! I love my Milwaukee..i have a leaf blower, hedge trimmer, string trimmer, flood light, job site radio, impact, drill...waiting for a Milwaukee snow thrower

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am confused on why you had the clutch at work. Don't those go out of play when you put it straight on "drill" and not on a number?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am confused on why you had the clutch at work. Don't those go out of play when you put it straight on "drill" and not on a number?
I said clutch, probably should have said drive. It was in drill mode. Drive completely broke, wouldn’t spin the chuck in either direction. Motor just spun. Total fluke I know, I’ve abused Dewalt tools on the job site for many years. Just got a lemon. That said, I’d have bought a Clam plate shortly as I didn’t like the drill setup at all. They didn’t have a replacement and I saw the deal on the SM 24, so I chose that direction. Happy so far.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i smoked a dewalt drill on my 8 inch kdrill, then i thought drills aren't made to run a 8-inch bit so i bought a 24v sm ice auger this is my 3rd year and no problems at all.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Milwaukee drill, Clam plate, Ion extension, Eskimo hand auger 8". Been using this since 2016. Use it in Winnipeg as well for the past 5 years. No issues....done!!!
I've been using the same for 4 years now without issue.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought K drill the other day to add to the arsenal of Ion and (Jiffy Pro 4 posted bismanonline )
Had to just about lay on DeWalt to get it to cut the first hole. Something definitely wrong. Called them when I got home. Talked with Greg with tech support, told me something absolutely wrong if wouldn't cut right away. Said some of the 8.5" had a bad bottom casting. Sent call tag and was sending new out for the exchange. Great customer service. Will see when arrives.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Final update. The 24v Strikemaster is legit. I have really liked it, even with the late thick ice we have had. I do not believe it will do the advertised 800" of ice with the 8" bit. I have gotten around 650" consistently, which is cutting holes on and off through the day. I think in really cold you must have the battery in a "warmer" place to keep the best battery life. But, on a nice day it doesn't matter too much. It is so light and simple, I love it for hole hopping around. I am going to grab another battery and see myself using the Eskimo gas w/pistol bit very little. Probably only on a day when I want to go crazy drilling, which doesn't happen much. Still some smoking good deals on the 24v out there too.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got the original Ion, still going strong, also a 6" and 8.5" KDrill with Milwaukee drills and Clam plates that work very good also

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Last time I was out there was only 24”-30” of ice on Sak.

I was able to drill about 20 holes with my DeWalt 20V. 5aH battery. 8” strikeMaster lite flite.

Not great but not terrible for a super light set up.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
See this is on sale at Scheels. Anyone have input on this model? Currently running a DeWalt brushless attached to a steel flight. Also found one on a different site, same model + second battery for cheaper. Will Scheels match and throw in a second battery for the same price?

1705189585380.png

1705190246565.png

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92