Favorite things that dont get talked about

DakotaGreg

Established Member
Theres endless discussion on rods, augers, and tackle, but what do you use that might be unique or rarely considered?

1. Official Boga Grip
The 7$ rapala one will work but not nearly as good for larger fish. The boga rotates, locks better, and has a quality scale but its over 100$. Big pike and catfish can roll all they want and the Boga grip will just spin with the fish. Hold fish for a photo and release. I never even touch pike anymore. It hangs on the ice house wall next to a forceps. I have both sizes. Dont drop down hole but cork handle might float it.

2. Hand Axe
I use a stainless steel (wont rust) Swedish hand axe that fits in my little ice tackle bag. Today the trailer jack was frozen under 4 inches of ice. Chipped it out in no time. Use it to break up ice holes in the morning. Back end makes a nice hammer too. No need to carry a hammer. Early ice I just chip holes and wont even carry an auger.

3. Ice House accessories
Stainless steele (i hate plastic) collapsable drink holders that mount to the wall. Amazon had mine. 35$ each. Fold into wall and can be adjusted for tightness. Theres no slop in these.
Metal paper towel dispenser
Popaplate paper plate dispenser
Auger Mount off Amazon. Dont travel with auger in it but it keeps auger nicely mounted on wall and just slides off. Fits ions and strikemasters.
Coat hangers. Mount these all around the walls. Hang garbage bags, tools, tackle, and coat.

Next thing i want, insulated shag rug for floor by sofa. Also an RV mattress. The ice castle bottom bed is not even.

Attachments

20230127_180754.jpg

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
A hatchet is one of the most valuable tools a person can have not just icefishing but also everyday use. Its like a swiss army knife it has so many uses.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
PowerBait paste on cranks and "bass fishing" walleye. Also brining your balls in left over pickle juice. It tends to leave a dill essence and taut skin:

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
A hatchet is one of the most valuable tools a person can have not just icefishing but also everyday use. Its like a swiss army knife it has so many uses.
You are going to have to explain that... I have a hatchet thats not been in my hand for years. What am I missing out on? I can see this might fit for a homesteader in alaska, but in Bismarck, I seldom have a need for one...

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hb 1151. Where did that forum go ??? Sour grapes because it’s going to pass ?

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. Official Boga Grip
The 7$ rapala one will work but not nearly as good for larger fish. The boga rotates, locks better, and has a quality scale but its over 100$. Big pike and catfish can roll all they want and the Boga grip will just spin with the fish. Hold fish for a photo and release. I never even touch pike anymore. It hangs on the ice house wall next to a forceps. I have both sizes. Dont drop down hole but cork handle might float it.

Friend who bought me one years ago added a small piece of cord and a float. He said someone will drop it. Hasn’t sunk yet.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are going to have to explain that... I have a hatchet thats not been in my hand for years. What am I missing out on? I can see this might fit for a homesteader in alaska, but in Bismarck, I seldom have a need for one...
I ranch and I find a use for one every week. works as a hammer to drive staples or nails. chop branches off trees when hanging tree stand. Cut rope if knife isn't available. A million different uses, they are just handy.

Or in your language it could pre chop carp for fish fertilizer. It could be used to open the tape on the package filled with bottles of mexican vanilla. Even open bags of water softener salt. Maybe even crack a liberal over the head.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a hatchet as well and have never thought “boy I wish I had my hatchet”

Do you wear it around your hip daily?

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like lever action rifles. Enough that I also badly want a Winchester 1887 lever action 12 gauge, but have a hard time justifying 5k just to rap off shots at pheasants like John Wayne. I like a day of tip up fishing for pike in the spring. I like making goose prosciutto. I like that the legislators involved with 1151 performed as expected; and added so much nonsense to include bird feeders and a big government committee that now even the proponents don’t want it passed.

I also own at least one hatchet. Only used to start a few fires when I feel bush-crafty. Don’t pull my hatchet card.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84