Electric Ice Auger Recommendations

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run the k-drill, plate, and a Milwaukee brushless. With a chipper it's best to lift the chips out of the hole occasionally. The Clam Plate makes that task handier and more ergonomic for us more "seasoned" ice fisherman.

The Clam Plate also reduces strain on the drill's bearings. All the lateral stress/strain is placed on the Clam Plate's bearings while the drill only has to provide true rotational energy - no lateral strain. I figure that's easier on the drill in the long run.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am surprised you guys have never run into issues more often with those fuckers grabbing and nearly tearing your arms off. most of my issues were redrilling holes in permanents. but, it also happens if you don't take the time to clear the slush from the hole in 3 feet of ice. punch through to the water and that slush mixes w/ the water and she grabs like a SOB too. it tore the handle right off the drill. broke the mottled metal where it attaches to the drill so it couldn't even be put back on if i wanted. guywhoknowsthings can probably explain the physics/mechanics of how the plate saves stress on the drill better than me.

edit: i see he already did ^^^

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I screwed up using the same Milwaukee drill this summer (without the handle) when I was putting nuts of a trailer tire back on - damn near broke my right wrist. Shoulda been using the handle - or better yet a clam plate. Ha ha.

Modern battery powered drill torque is simply unbelievable. Using judgement that was developed over a lifetime of using drills with lame torque makes for an accident waiting to happen. 😵‍💫

The torque of modern drills still catches me by surprise on occasion - even around the house.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can also tell you to keep the drill power on 1. After a few beverages in the garage, I decided to see how fast the Milwaukee would spin the auger on 2 speed. The cover flew off and hit me in the ankle. It's been over a month and my ankle still isn't back to 100% Hard lesson learned

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I can also tell you to keep the drill power on 1. After a few beverages in the garage, I decided to see how fast the Milwaukee would spin the auger on 2 speed. The cover flew off and hit me in the ankle. It's been over a month and my ankle still isn't back to 100% Hard lesson learned
Turning those augers with no load on them is also a good way to damage the drill clutch. Resist the temptation to spin ice off the auger or you'll hear the click click click as the clutch disengages.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Turning those augers with no load on them is also a good way to damage the drill clutch. Resist the temptation to spin ice off the auger or you'll hear the click click click as the clutch disengages.
Thanks for the info. I have done it a few times and won't be doing it anymore.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I did the samething, my ankle was black and blue for a month. I will stick with the Ion.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
SM 40 last 2 seasons, works good, but as said earlier, it doesn't take much dirty ice for the blades to shit the bed
And when they crap the bed it's OVER. You're not going one more inch.
Sorta stunning when it happens your first time. I went home without fishing that day.

Never again. I've carried a spare ever since. Maybe used a spare twice in 20 years? Ha ha.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
And when they crap the bed it's OVER. You're not going one more inch.
Sorta stunning when it happens your first time. I went home without fishing that day.

Never again. I've carried a spare ever since. Maybe used a spare twice in 20 years? Ha ha.
I figured the blades were bent, or somehow the cutting angle was effd up. It would not cut water it went bad fast and sudden.
Sharpened them and have had it happen one other time, but was able to wiggle it back and forth to get a hole drilled in about 20 minutes.

Other than this, thing cuts like a hot knife thru butter.

Coldfront

Established Member
I happen to have a K-Drill but any type of chipper blade setup is what you are looking for. I will never go back to shaver blade type drill. K Drill will sharpen blades for free.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
These work in an emergency. It doesn't make it cut like new blades do, but it will allow you to drill a few more holes and finish your day on the ice. I prefer to carry a new set of blades in my tackle box.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/strikemaster-lazer-deluxe-ice-auger-sharpener?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Cabelas|Shopping|Smart|CatchAll|General|NAud|NVol|NMT&gclid=cb8070b09e131d8070601311bc4de653&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=cb8070b09e131d8070601311bc4de653
Tried one of these on Ion. Didn't do anything, had to pack up and go home because used previous set of blades the day before. Same thing in dirty ice. My blade sharpener guy asked what the hell happened to that set of blades.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried one of these on Ion. Didn't do anything, had to pack up and go home because used previous set of blades the day before. Same thing in dirty ice. My blade sharpener guy asked what the hell happened to that set of blades.
werid, I've used it a few times on strikemaster lazer mag shaver blades and got drilling again. Pretty sure I've used it on Ion blades at least once to get going again. It definately doesn't make them like new again.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Several years ago, I finished the day on my third set of laser blades. I found 2 different gravel patches on the ice a few inches below the surface. It was a freeze/thaw time of year and pickups would shed gravel off of their wheel wells. I never thought I would go through 2 sets in one day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80