Electric Ice Auger Recommendations

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
k drill blades last a long time and off free sharpening, my strikemaster 24 volt i replace once a year and keep them covered. the most problems ive had with strikemaster shaver blades are chipping them doing stupid stuff.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK so now I am thinking more of the drill option. See lots of guys not using the plate, just the drill and side support. Plate needed for a drill setup or no?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
just the drill alone on a kdrill hurt my wrists after a while. and i smoked a dewalt 20v,

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
Have a K drill, 1st Year used the side handle on drill, bought a clam plate the second year and prefer the plate, just need a second drill for the ice anchors.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The plate holds onto your auger (bolted in place) so it won't let go.

There's been more than one auger sent to Davy's locker from the drill chuck loosening up. 😭 (not mine thankfully)

TakItEz

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Clam plate is very comfortable and doesnt crank/break your wrists if the flighting grabs a little. There also is a modification that you can add a spring system to the trigger assembly that is very nice. I have been using the 5.0 and 9.0 amp batteries with no problems and i do move around to try find fish. I did pick up a 12 amp to try this year and i bet that will last all day with no issues.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
I liked the K-Drill for early ice and even a simple hand axe with less than 6 inches. I used the k-drill into late season and eventually burned up my drill. Went back to my favorite gas auger, the Honda four stroke. Before the Honda Four Stroke, I had a strikemaster electric. Then strikemaster went to a lower voltage battery and no longer produced batteries for the electric I had. I called them and they just sent me extra batteries free of charge. Then I sold that auger.

This year I bought the new Ion Alpha which is my favorite of them all. Its super light and the battery seems heavier duty with a rubberized housing. I cant speak for the newer strikemasters but my older one had plastic battery housing which kept breaking.

Im liking the ion alpha and am selling the Honda Four Stroke. The guy that wanted to buy it doesnt seem to be responding anymore.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the clam plate with liteflight and put the spring and collars on. If set right it gives you the same feel and feathering of the throttle as on a gas auger.
20200406_125729.jpg

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most importantly, a hammer drill WILL break your wrist without the handle, clam plate, or tucking it under your arm while you drill. I've had it scare me a few times when I thought "I can do it without tucking it under my arm" and it catches the ice at the bottom of the hole.

That said, I use a frankenstein-ed setup that includes a DeWalt brushless hammer drill with the flight off an Eskimo gas auger. I have replacement Laser blades on it and it EATS ice FAST.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had the M18 and both a 7.5 Kdril bit and a SM bit for a few years. When both sharp, the SM cuts better but if you have dirty ice, K is your only option. I used the drill 2 years without a plate. As the ice gets thicker, it becomes harder on the wrist. I always used the side handle that came with the drill. I bought the plate this year and like it but don’t like the bulk. After I purchased it, I saw a side handle at Scheels that I might have tried before the plate. (No offense, Guy)

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i had a kdrill on my ice gator power head and it ripped, i will have to put my kdrill on my 24v strikemaster next time my blades are shot.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got an Ion and I love it. Bought a second battery but have never needed it. I have smoked blades on dirty ice but I carry a spare set with now.

I use the smaller 6 inch k drill mainly for opening up frozen stockponds for cattle. The hole I open is like a huge spearing hole, drilling many interconnecting holes at a time. Batteries tend to over heat with continous use and take forever to cool down. Sometimes I use the bigger 12 amp battery from my milwaukee chainsaw as it lasts alot longer and takes alot longer to overheat. I doubt batteries overheating will be a problem ice fishing as few people would be drilling that many holes in that short of time.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got an Ion and I love it. Bought a second battery but have never needed it. I have smoked blades on dirty ice but I carry a spare set with now.

I use the smaller 6 inch k drill mainly for opening up frozen stockponds for cattle. The hole I open is like a huge spearing hole, drilling many interconnecting holes at a time. Batteries tend to over heat with continous use and take forever to cool down. Sometimes I use the bigger 12 amp battery from my milwaukee chainsaw as it lasts alot longer and takes alot longer to overheat. I doubt batteries overheating will be a problem ice fishing as few people would be drilling that many holes in that short of time.
How come you don't buy an ice saw or a chainsaw both are much easier to use then an auger. I used to help open ponds in the winter for trapping minnows ice saw or chainsaw believe it or not is much faster to open ponds. The only time it wasn't is if there was a ton of snow it that's the case it'd still a pain in the butt to move all those shavings from the ice after using the auger.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 47
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 14