Kitchen Countertops

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to put new countertop in the kitchen, and looking for some advice. 1. What kind of material i.e. laminate, granite, quartz, or solid surface would you use? 2. Depending on what kind of material, do it your self, or hire someone 3. If you hire someone, got any suggestions for somebody in or around Minot? Thanks!

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
quartz is the best product out there for several reasons. laminate is the cheapest but they have some great looking laminates that look like real stone now. you honestly can't go wrong with any of them. they all have their pluses and minuses. With quartz you don't have to worry about anything with it. Laminates scratch, de-laminate, warp, etc. solid surfaces such as corian stain and granite does too. granite looks great but it will scratch and stain so you have to be careful. I cut on my quartz all the time. And it's rated for food contact in prep kitchens so bacteria buildup is a non factor. I did quartz from menards and installed myself. It's heavy as hell but easy to install. You get a template to ensure it's perfect before you send in for the final cutting. Quartz through menards is by far the cheapest quartz there is. Not because it's a cheaper product, just because you are cutting out some middle men and installing yourself.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you go Quartz, granite, or marble look at Perham in Minot. Great work and fast turn around and the best pricing In The state. Been in many houses in the Minot area they have done and excellent work.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would agree with eye. We have both granite and quartz and the quartz is almost maintenance free. We used Heim Granite in Bismarck and are very satisfied. They have done both indoor work and an outdoor granite table and bar and they do great work. good luck!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree with everything above except that my experience with laminate doesn't match the problems mentioned. Very durable with common sense care. Not as durable as granite or quartz but have never had one come apart on me. And today's laminate is much more attractive than previous. Have even seen some laminate in a granite pattern that was nearly identical in looks.

One never mentioned was concrete. When I first heard about concrete countertops I couldn't imagine how that could be attractive but in the right setting it's very nice. Done properly, it's not taking a chunk out of your driveway and installed in your kitchen.

If you're going to be installing your own granite or quartz be extremely careful and know what you are doing. If mishandled both stones can break and when installing them yourself, that is an expensive lesson. Real expensive. I'm pretty sure there is no warranty against breakage when installing. Even if you only damage one small piece they are usually cut from one large piece to insure that all pieces match. Finding a perfect match with another stone isn't easy.

In short, I can't argue that the natural stones are extremely nice, it all depends on what your better half wants and how much you want to spend. Warning: Better half's wants usually trump what you want to spend if you like your current sleeping arrangement.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some good info above. I believe it really comes down to budget, then what look you want. Laminate can be as inexpensive as $15/sf while quartz can cost you $150/sf. It isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Laminate has come a LONG ways. Very attractive patterns and textures, some of which are very close to natural stone or quartz. Durability is good however you still need a cutting board and can chip/break it. A properly fabricated countertop (meaning all endcaps glued properly, seams cut, etc.) and installed properly (meaning seams done properly and sealed, sinks caulked in, etc.) will last MANY years. Certainly the most inexpensive option, though as you move up in look/finish price increases a bit.

Granite can be good middle ground. Homeowners piss themselves when they walk in and see granite, it's just a "buzz" product that hooks people. Builders around here put in cheap granite just for that reason. Granite can be had for a really good price depending on who does it. Durability is so-so- it can chip, stain if not sealed, and isn't truly a food safe product. Can be polished but I wouldn't cut on it. Fabrication is intensive and must be template ACCURATELY. Biggest issue with installation is seams- getting them perfect can be a bear and is best done with a vacuum leveler.

Quartz is by far the most superior product but costs the most. It isn't easy to modify so it must be templated accurately- on site modifications are more difficult than granite. But, it is durable, food safe, and looks great. I have heard the Menards option is quite cost effective but have not seen it in person. I will tell you that a professionally done job by a supplier selling say Cambria is often unbelievably perfect. Seams are nearly invisible with material aligned at fabrication to make them disappear. I personally would not template or install myself unless you have considerable carpentry and specifically cabinet/countertops skills.

The breakage element of granite and quartz makes me cringe. I have had a few jobs done even by professional installers that had breakage. One broke on the 22nd of December, right before the homeowner's family showed up for the holidays. Came off the truck that way, she cried for half a day I think!

Good luck!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good info so far! :;:thumbsup I completely gutted the kitchen, and redid it myself 19 years ago. I have thought hard on doing quartz but am scared shitless on the installation part due to breakage as mentioned above. That stuff is expensive enough without doing it twice.;:;badidea

- - - Updated - - -

Just came up with a new idea, I'll have the hot blonde chick on Flip or Flop come give me advice, and help!! :;:rockit:;:smokin

Last edited:

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you order from me menards they have a small length limit that they will cut. we ended up splicing a 11" piece into our counter top. It also took awhile to get the template correct. had to use plywood top for over a month. But the good thing is by them taking so long to get things right we received 25 percent off the complete kitchen that we ordered from them. We went with the Quartz with glass tile for the back splash it looks great. I helped move the slab around and place it on top of the cabinets I think you would have to get pretty crazy with it to break it. maybe that is why menards has that length limit to keep it from getting to long that it is easy to break.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure you check out your floor joists with the additional load you will be putting on them......................

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
we got our quartz from menards three years ago at $48 a sq.ft. on sale. Do it yourself installation isn't bad if you know what your doing and have prepped things perfectly. If you not handy with these types of things self installation probably isn't what you want to do. The owners of Cambria are very good friends of mine. Went to high school with them. Another good buddy is one of their sales heads. He set me up with two companies out here to price cambria and I almost shit myself. $180 a sq. ft. They were getting $100-110 a sq. ft in the twin cities at that time. That's how bad the goughing was here. The menards quartz is identical. The only difference is Cambria offers far more colors, different thickness's and more edge profiles. It's made by the same equipment. Menards is also manufactured out of the country since Cambria holds the rights to all quartz manufacturing in this country with this specific equipment. There is no other equipment that is being used for this at this time that I know of. It's truly amazing to watch how this stuff is built.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is not covered under any type of warranty, that I'm aware of, but it's just not something I'd heard of. My folks had their kitchen re-done - beautiful. All of it, countertops, cabinets, flooring, electrical and plumbing, moved walls, etc. The whole 9 yards.

Anyhow, quartz countertops. My mom is an old Norewegian, and was making lefse, on her her electric lefse griddle all day. Heat from the lefse griddle caused the quartz to crack from the leading edge right back to the wall, under her griddle. She said it sounded like a gun going off.

The builder did come back and replace that piece, which they surely didn't have to.

I would never have thought about heat issues with a "stone" type of top.

Just something to consider.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
brother in law has a concrete counter top. I believe he has to seal it a couple times a year. I'd call and ask but then I'd have to talk to him or the sister in law.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
If you go Quartz, granite, or marble look at Perham in Minot. Great work and fast turn around and the best pricing In The state. Been in many houses in the Minot area they have done and excellent work.

He's closing his doors. Which isnt surprising. He's been under cutting and bootlegging Cambria tops in Minot for awhile now.

Good luck to those who bought from him if they need warranty work.

- - - Updated - - -

This is not covered under any type of warranty, that I'm aware of, but it's just not something I'd heard of. My folks had their kitchen re-done - beautiful. All of it, countertops, cabinets, flooring, electrical and plumbing, moved walls, etc. The whole 9 yards.

Anyhow, quartz countertops. My mom is an old Norewegian, and was making lefse, on her her electric lefse griddle all day. Heat from the lefse griddle caused the quartz to crack from the leading edge right back to the wall, under her griddle. She said it sounded like a gun going off.

The builder did come back and replace that piece, which they surely didn't have to.

I would never have thought about heat issues with a "stone" type of top.

Just something to consider.

Likely broke at the seam or was a menards / box store brand with a sub par install/seam job.

I've worked with hundreds of quartz tops and have yet to see a quality product fail.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use an electric griddle on my counter quite frequently. I know people that set hot pots right on it too.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just stopped at Minot Lumber, and asked a few questions. Price on the quartz started at $71 a square foot.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I looked at counter tops, I was told that quartz isn't made to put hot items on as the thermal shock will crack quartz but that is a non issue with granite. I also quoted with Menards and had 5 seams for the countertop versus one from an actual fabricator that specializes in countertops.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
My vote is for solid surface like Corian…extremely durable and better on the pocket book that quartz or granite nice looking stuff for a useable kitchen…yes the quartz and granite especially, look nice but be super careful with hot objects and glass…I don’t know how many times I’ve seen someone shatter a glass setting it down on a granite counter top…solid surface also give you the luxury of sanding it down if something does stain or mark it up

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you do go quartz or granite make sure you cabinets are completely level so the weight is evenly distributed. This eliminates having shims which cause pressure points. Have had quartz for 7 years now and love it. Would never do anything else. A little prep before can save you headaches in the long run.
The guy that installed mine told me horror stories of corian. Lots of them that he had removed had bowls in them where people polished them so many times. He offered them for install but did 1 for every 50 or so stone installs

Last edited:

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got granite. Have been cutting on it and setting hot pots and pans on it for 11 years. Never a problem and looks like the day it was installed. We got a big island and it's one big cutting area for food prep. Works slick.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 231
  • This month: 200
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 66