KUIU Talus pants

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at getting some new pants for the upcoming year and was looking at the Talus. Anybody using these or another brand or style similar? Will use them here and Montana for deer season and next year on an elk hunt. We typically do a lot of glassing and moving for deer so something with knee pads seems like a good idea. Rokslide test said they were also extremely waterproof which is what I was looking for especially if we have snow for our deer season. Thanks for your help!

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ran a pair last season and could not be happier. I have always liked Kuiu pants. Have 6-7 pairs of Attacks and a couple other camo ones. They have just always fit me well.

The Talus is exactly what I was looking for in a deer hunting pant for late October into late season. Ankles, knees, and butt stayed dry in snow, dew, or light rain. Breathed enough to cause no major discomfort problems on 3-6 mile hikes.

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried a pair last season...only issue I had with them is I'm on the fat side of husky and they are cut a bit tighter than the attack pants so I needed to upsize one size to still have room if I wanted room for a baselayer. Its probably just an issue for a guy built like me. Great pants...you wont regret it!

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talus is awesome. Tried on the Timberline before I bought the Talus. Timberline is a good pant, but in my opinion the built in knee pads and the quieter material of the Talus make it better.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
These are the 2 pants I was highly considering so I'll have to try the Timberlines on at Scheels and go from there. Sounds like a guy can't go wrong either way. Thanks!!

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about first lite catalyst. Are all 3 comparable? I’m in the market don’t know which one to get. Thanks

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
extremely waterproof which is what I was looking for especially if we have snow for our deer season.

88554b21-7465-4701-bf19-a53aa02a78f0.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I will never again hunt anything late season without gaiters. My only regret was waiting 30 years to try them out.

- - - Updated - - -

Snow or no snow... they make your lower legs feel bionic. Branches, thorns, dew, frost, snow, mud, you name it.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually bought some KUIU ones last year and used them late season. They work exceptionally in deeper snow for sure.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 9.56.03 PM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I will never again hunt anything late season without gaiters. My only regret was waiting 30 years to try them out.

- - - Updated - - -

Snow or no snow... they make your lower legs feel bionic. Branches, thorns, dew, frost, snow, mud, you name it.

It's not so much that you like gaiters, as much as it is gaiters are more like hip waders on you. The rest of us keep dry just above the top of our boots by using gaiters.

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about the guide and pro pants are they more of a late season pant compared to the talus?

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about the guide and pro pants are they more of a late season pant compared to the talus?

I don't own either, so take that into consideration... The guide pants would be warmer than the Talus and likely Pro Pant, but they don't include any areas of waterproof material, likely better suited for below freezing weather where water and moisture isn't much of a concern and the added insulation is.

The pro pant looks to be similar to the Talus in some regards, but lacking the waterproof fabrics in the ankles, knees, and butt regions.

To simplify it, I would say the Talus is the hybrid waterproof version of the Pro Pant. And the Axis Pant is the hybrid waterproof version of the Guide pant.

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do not own the guide, but my understanding is that it does lack some windproofing. I used the Talus last year, and had no problem late season with wool base layers on. If you are stand hunting, I would look at something else. If you are spot and stalking, the Talus is awesome.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend of mine has the Axis pants and uses them for stand hunting and says they are warm enough for that. That's what lead me to the Talus pants as I want something deigned for spot and stalk style hunting without roasting to death. I think I've all but made up my mind now I just need my birthday to get here for my 20% off code!

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I ended up ordering the Talus pants and couldn't be happier. The sizing seems to be pretty much spot on as I ordered a 36 and normally wear a 34 so they fit big enough to get a good base layer underneath. I have worn them a couple times now and they are definitely very waterproof and the side vents help tremendously when it's warm. I will say having logged a few miles in them running the dogs in a couple pastures this morning that they are not designed for early season. The vents work great and they breath well but you will warm up fast. That's great for me because I plan on using them later in the season but if you're looking for an early season pant this is probably not the one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31