Votes: 10 17.9%
  • plain flourocarbon line

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what do most of you guys use for leaders when tying up lindys or spinners or even when jigging. I use 14lb XT for almost all of my lindy's and spinners, but I know a lot of guys use way lighter line or even fluorocarbons.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
10 lb XT for crawler harnesses. Seagar fluoro for leader. I feel unprepared this year. I haven't tied one crawler harness. We had so many rain days last year that I have enough for a whole fleet of boats.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 20lb Berkley florocarbon for my spinners. I've had issues with pike when I use anything lighter or regular monofilament. For jigging, I use straight up 6lb Berkley sensation solar green.
For pitching I use 10lb or 14lb Fireline crystal. That just depends on which line was on sale the day I bought it. I do use AFW Surflon as a leader for pitching cranks. It's nylon coated and you can tie a palomar knot easily with it and it holds knots well.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using Seaguar Red Label 17lb fluorocarbon for my spinner harnesses. Seems to work well and isn't very expensive.

Kngkong

Founding Member
Founding Member
doesn't fluorocarbon line sink? at slow speeds or depending on presentation that could make a difference.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally i don't think our fish are pressured enough for flouro to make any difference while pulling live bait rigs. It might make a tiny difference ice fishing but i'm not even sure about that.

Hell half the time i have my power-pro braid tied directly to the jig, or black tip-up line tied directly to the hook.

Pedro

Established Member
Agree with fishn, buuuuuuutttt I still use 12-14lb. Floro for my death rigs. Also like to run a 3ish foot floro leader when using jiggin raps. The treble on the bait seems to not swing up and hook the lane near as much as fire line.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_1209.jpg

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Personally i don't think our fish are pressured enough for flouro to make any difference while pulling live bait rigs. It might make a tiny difference ice fishing but i'm not even sure about that.

Hell half the time i have my power-pro braid tied directly to the jig, or black tip-up line tied directly to the hook.

I mostly do it so when I snag then just the spinner breaks and I don't lose my weight too. When I'm pitching jigs or cranks, or vertical jigging I'm always tied direct to my braid.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member

I agree but there are some other advantages to fluorocarbon for leaders. It's move UV resistance so it won't break down overtime if in the sun. It's also generally has more abrasive resistance.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

The walleyes in the Sheyenne aren't pressured per se, but I've seen it more than once when tying directly to braid equaled no fish. Coincidentally, I was the bozo on the losing end of the deal both times in that I had tied my stuff directly to the braid while the other fishermen were using mono or mono leaders. Took me about an hour the first time to figure out why everyone else was catching fish and I wasn't when we were ALL using the same lure, but about 5 minutes the second time. Once I put on a mono leader, I started to catch fish. I think the fish could see the braid, but whatever it was they were NOT BITING the jig or lure if it was tied directly to braid. Does it matter all the time?? Absolutely NOT, but when it comes to fishing I grab every advantage I can. If it happened twice before, it will happen again. I always use a floro leader (Vanish) when I go muddin' now and it seems to work just fine. Another advantage of using a leader, is that I can use a leader that is weaker than my braid main line and if I break off, I only lose the 2 ft of mono instead of taking the chance of breaking 40 yards of braid off and leaving it in the river to "F" up the spot. Long strings of fishing line in my fishing holes preventing my from fishing them REALLY SUCKS, so I try NOT to be my own worst enemy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28