Leaking Pole Barn Roof

storm trooper

spray foam, water, and plywood dont work well together! spray foam holds water and plywood soaks it in! and yes there caulking out there that work well!! i .use it most days on steel buildings. pound the nails down and pull the ones u can get out, it will work well for a few years until the roof sheets get replaced

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
doesn't look like sheeting under the roof tin, which is normal... if you want to keep the building long term, i'd pound the nails all flat and get someone to come out and coat the roof with polyurea... would probably last a few more decades...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
wonderbar and a piece of plywood to pry on.

if they are ring shanks, which i'm sure they are, you're gonna break off the first 3 and bend the steel and quit...

if you can get them out without damage to the steel, replacing with screws and expecting a seal would be sketch at best... you could pull all the nails, replace with screws with steel and rubber washers, and go from 10 leaks to 30 when you're done...

it would b the cheapest and easiest fix, but i don't think you will get the results you would expect...

good luck...

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have fun pulling the steal with spray foam under it. Unless your willing to throw away that foam start over. I don't think the nails are his problem anyway

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it leaking around the ridge cap? Hard to believe the nail holes would let in that much water when they are on top of the ridges and not in the valley.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Roof is leaking through the foam, I know there is some rotting of the purlins in spots. Just trying to string the building along for another couple years until we can build a new one. I was thinking of trying something similar to this for new screws.
https://www.fastenersplus.com/14-Woodbinder-Metal-Roofing-Screw-Pkg-250?quantity=1&color=Galvanized

Risingsun: Did you leave the old fasteners in and seal over them using the same sealant as the seams? Or take them all out?
Sorry havn't been on, but yes we left the original ones in and just covered them up.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 38
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 15