Length limit different for CDL vs non-CDL trains?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
A coworker was telling me this morning that a CDL holder can exceed the 75 ft limit for a pickup, camper, and boat train in ND. Claims the limit is 85 ft?

I've never heard this before so I figured I would come to our resident panel of experts to see if this is true or if she's blowing smoke.

Anyone know for sure?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard that a cdl driver has the ability to tow longer than the 75ft maximum as well.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never heard of this before but as a CDL holder I wish they would require a CDL to do this Period. If I as a CDL holder need an special endorsement to pull double or triples why the hell should general joe blow public be able to do it with a regular license who has never been tested about it? Then we need the state to crack down on GCVW of the vehicles. Most pickups are overloaded with the campers most pull alone let alone hanging a boat on behind then I doubt the trailer brakes work on top of it which is why I have seen plenty of rigs like this piled up along highway 83 over the years one of the worst spots is between Wilton and Washburn. :mad::;:deadhorse

OK off my soap box now.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
In between wilton and washburn is a warzone right now. Glad I wasn't pulling my boat last weekend when I met my parents at the lake.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpg

Call me crazy, but something is not right. I took photo of this joker in 2011 in minot

Last edited:

BX2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a few questions about truck I was driving once. best advise I got was to call the N.D. highway patrol since the were the ones that would be issuing the ticket. They seemed pretty helpful actually.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for reminding me BX2 that it really isn't that difficult to get answers from the people who actually have to enforce these provisions. I'll post whatever I get back in response.

What's up with the Wilton to Washburn stretch? I have travelled that way a number of times this summer and haven't run across anything bad. Are people having trouble negotiating the hills?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am at 74' with my pickup, 5th wheel, and ProV in tow, and have been pulling doubles for 10+ years.

SD the length limit is 65', I believe anyway.

I have traveled all across ND pulling double, and a few spots in SD, I have never personally been stopped and measure, nor have I ever seen or heard of anyone else going through this process. Not sure on the fine, or any of that, but do not believe it to be one to lose sleep over.

I had a commercial license 20 years ago, and when it came time to renew my license I let it go cause it cost $10 more to renew. I said I don't need it anymore, the lady says "its only $10 more, and worth keeping". I said nope I need to save that $10 and wont be driving for hire anymore.... haha She says "If you don't renew it and ever want it back you will have to go throw all the testing and training all over again, are you sure you don't want to spend the extra few bucks"...

Needless to say I no longer have a commercial license, and those 3 beers at Chubs tasted like success...

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Road construction the entire way. Not just "shut one lane down and go slow." driving on dirt, switching back and forth, avoiding olympic pool-sized holes out of the pavement. That's the northbound lane. Southbound wasn't too bad but still one lane.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sheesh, you would have thought this to be a relatively simple question. I guess not!

My reply from earlier inquiry with the state:

Allen,

Just because an individual has a CDL doesn't mean that they are able to have a pickup camper boat combination over the 75 feet. However, it will be based on the roadway as some roadways allow over the 75 feet. Therefore, if you have a pickup camper boat combination over 75 feet you would have to travel on the roadways that allow that length. There are maps available that have legal lengths for the roadways.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact our office.

So I went looking for the maps and found this on DOT's page:
https://www.dot.nd.gov/divisions/maintenance/docs/9-1annex_b.pdf

Needless to say, this has been fairly educational.

http://www.nd.gov/ndhp/sites/nd.gov.ndhp/files/docs/permits/9-1_handout.pdf

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never heard of this before but as a CDL holder I wish they would require a CDL to do this Period. If I as a CDL holder need an special endorsement to pull double or triples why the hell should general joe blow public be able to do it with a regular license who has never been tested about it? Then we need the state to crack down on GCVW of the vehicles. Most pickups are overloaded with the campers most pull alone let alone hanging a boat on behind then I doubt the trailer brakes work on top of it which is why I have seen plenty of rigs like this piled up along highway 83 over the years one of the worst spots is between Wilton and Washburn. :mad::;:deadhorse

OK off my soap box now.
one could ask the same question of farmers. they can drive semi tractor/trailers with no cdl.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20170215-151514.jpg

Call me crazy, but something is not right. I took photo of this joker in 2011 in minot

He's pulling it with a Ford, so he's probably safe to pull another 10k on top of this with no issues. Working in the patch for 3 years, this is about a daily occurrence. haha

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
one could ask the same question of farmers. they can drive semi tractor/trailers with no cdl.

I see your point but IMO I would rather be on the road with a farmer hauling grain in a tractor/trailer which is designed for hauling heavy loads than the weekend-warrior city slicker pulling a big ass camper and boat with his 3/4 ton pick-up. Just because your pick-up has all kinds of pulling power people think they are good to go and forget they may need to stop that rig in a hurry and that is where the problems start. Not saying it shouldn't be done (I may do it myself some day) but caution needs to be used.

Back to the farmers not needing a CDL, spend some time in the RRV the first couple weeks of October and you will see all kinds of crazy shit during beet harvest. I think it is getting even worse now with so many trucks having automatic transmissions so now just about anyone can jump in one and drive one,,, well at least attempt to.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see your point but IMO I would rather be on the road with a farmer hauling grain in a tractor/trailer which is designed for hauling heavy loads than the weekend-warrior city slicker pulling a big ass camper and boat with his 3/4 ton pick-up. Just because your pick-up has all kinds of pulling power people think they are good to go and forget they may need to stop that rig in a hurry and that is where the problems start. Not saying it shouldn't be done (I may do it myself some day) but caution needs to be used.

Back to the farmers not needing a CDL, spend some time in the RRV the first couple weeks of October and you will see all kinds of crazy shit during beet harvest. I think it is getting even worse now with so many trucks having automatic transmissions so now just about anyone can jump in one and drive one,,, well at least attempt to.
I haven't seen where either has cause any issues

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't seen where either has cause any issues
Except for the deaths a teen truck driver caused a few years back during beet harvest in the SE part of the state which caused the state legislature to take up some issues but dropped stiffer laws due to the push back from the ag industry.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
He's pulling it with a Ford, so he's probably safe to pull another 10k on top of this with no issues. Working in the patch for 3 years, this is about a daily occurrence. haha
That actually looks like the velva cenex. How dare you try to throw Minot under the bus!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 18